• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$3k for MEP003A @ Ft. Riley

Bill W

well after the storms that just ripped through the States I'm sure there will be a premium for gensets for the rest of winter then followed by a lull until the first hurricane of the season in the south$$

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pennys on the dollar, compared to what the Government paid for them.

3dAngus

Why are they so revered? A brand new 10K can be bought for about $1000 with a warranty.

Is it the multiphase? Diesel? or what?

I'm probably going to buy one due to the multiphase, but not seeing that much value in them just yet.

To big, to heavy, to move around.

3dAngus

Yeah, you're right. 10K is a peak number, not a running number. The 8k running number generator at Lowes is about $1k. It has a 10K peak number on it, and many of the online generators you take a quick look at pricing on just have the peak numbers on them for marketing purposes to suck you in. Good for suckers like me. <grin> Gotta read the smaller print sometimes.

If you move up to a 10Kw running generator it goes up to almost $2K.

But I would never pay $3K for a MEP-003 when they can be had for half that. That much I do know, because I have been watching them for a couple of months.

Sorry about that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And remember, 10k is under-rated for the 003. More like 14K. Instead of being built with the minimum materials required(like modern chain store generators), they are actually designed with about a 300% overkill in materials.

Military surplus generator just can't be compared to mass produced equipment. They are not for everyone, either.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-003A is a LOT more generator than most 10K commercial gensets. These are designed for continuous operation, not simply as a backup.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are they so revered? A brand new 10K can be bought for about $1000 with a warranty.

Is it the multiphase? Diesel? or what?

I'm probably going to buy one due to the multiphase, but not seeing that much value in them just yet.

To big, to heavy, to move around.

It's just my humble opinion, but I think they are so revered because even at that kind of money ($3k) it's still a bargain. You'll never find anything on the civilian market that is that overbuilt (like DH said, closer to 14KW) and the fact that they are diesel, means they can run forever almost. They are continuous duty rated, meaning the only time you need to shut them down is every 100 hours for maintenance. They are both 3 phase and single phase which some people find very attractive. All in all they are just a very well built reliable piece of OD Iron!!!!.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gotta love them.. i bought one and everyone in my neck of the woods now wants one.. but the sales local on gl went thru the roof. 2500 plus:p

rat4spd

And don't forget that since there is so much rotating mass that they will easily start 20-30KW. That's a 200-300% peak output for starting loads. Your box gensets are lucky to start 110%

NEIOWA

Yeah, you're right. 10K is a peak number, not a running number. The 8k running number generator at Lowes is about $1k. It has a 10K peak number on it, and many of the online generators you take a quick look at pricing on just have the peak numbers on them for marketing purposes to suck you in. Good for suckers like me. <grin> Gotta read the smaller print sometimes.

If you move up to a 10Kw running generator it goes up to almost $2K.

If a Yugo gets your job done, buy it. Then the 2nd time you have a job buy another. Those 3600rpm gas generators barely rise to the level of yuppie toys.

WPNS421

Well you just have to look at the price of everything else on GL and how much things have increased. Remember when you could buy a M35 for under $1K, what do they go for now!!!! I have been watching GL for the past year and on the average selling prices have incease from 30% to 50%, that includes trucks, trailers etc. Right now everyone wants generators and the MEP are much better than the civilian models. We purchased a 903C with no control panel for $1800+ then spend $800 building a panel, It was worth every cent.
Has anyone every seen how much this type of equipment sells for on the open market, to buyers who are unaware of GL.
The way things are going buying government surplus is going to be getting more expensive because now more people know about GL and they are also looking for good deals. Also it's a good thing that GL requires EUCs for a lot of things because if they didn't a lot of this equipment would be heading to Canada.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks