• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 man top installation: What is the correct fastener for side rail?

15W40

I am installing a GMA 4 man top kit and the existing hardware on my hmmwv is a mixed bag. I’m looking for advice on the correct fasteners for the side rail to the windshield frame. The catalog points to a 10-32 screw and well nut.

What I disassembled was a #12 bolt and nutsert on the passenger side and a rivet into what looks like the wrong hole on the drivers side. The big hole looks way too big for the 10-32 well nut. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

15W40

Thank you - I guess the crux of my question is what does it screw into? One side has a 1/2”+ hole and the other side has a large coarse nutsert. If anyone has a good pic of their setup in this spot, it would be helpful.

Keesyman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was originally 10-32 phillips head screws into rubber wellnuts. Many have wollered out since new and you have to improvise with 1/4-20 nutserts/wellnuts. whatever now fits
Yes original was a #10 - 32 Fine thread Counter sunk Phillips head screw. Same as what hold all the footman loops scattered over the vehicles.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you - I guess the crux of my question is what does it screw into? One side has a 1/2”+ hole and the other side has a large coarse nutsert. If anyone has a good pic of their setup in this spot, it would be helpful.
It comes originally with a rubber wellnut or nutset with a 10-32 or 10-24 screw. I don't remember correctly the thread step. I removed the dried rubber nutsets and installed 1/4"-20 rivnuts. What happen is that the rubber nutset has a little wiggle back and fort while the rivnut does not have room for error. I had to move the holes in the side rails to make it match. Keep in mind, i converted a 2 door to a 4 door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks