• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

475lb torque sticks-- any good?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm slowly building my pile of tools and items to super single out my M923 with 16.00r20's.

I have all the tires and wheels but still need the shoulder lug nuts for the front HEMTT wheels, new o-rings and air stems for regular combat wheels for the rear axles.

I tried to breakdown a couple of my combat wheels with old 395's on them to put on the 16.00's but the lugs holding the combat wheel together just laughed at my 1/2" impact wrench. 3ft breaker bar had no effect either so I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 1" impact gun with extended anvil. I figure a couple changes of tires on the truck and the gun will pay for itself.

So...my question: Anyone use the 475lb torque sticks they sell on Amazon? I'm leery of over tightening the lugs (either on the wheel or on the axle) with the 1" HF impact gun and then I won't be able to get them off when stuck on side of the road.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm slowly building my pile of tools and items to super single out my M923 with 16.00r20's.

I have all the tires and wheels but still need the shoulder lug nuts for the front HEMTT wheels, new o-rings and air stems for regular combat wheels for the rear axles.

I tried to breakdown a couple of my combat wheels with old 395's on them to put on the 16.00's but the lugs holding the combat wheel together just laughed at my 1/2" impact wrench. 3ft breaker bar had no effect either so I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 1" impact gun with extended anvil. I figure a couple changes of tires on the truck and the gun will pay for itself.

So...my question: Anyone use the 475lb torque sticks they sell on Amazon? I'm leery of over tightening the lugs (either on the wheel or on the axle) with the 1" HF impact gun and then I won't be able to get them off when stuck on side of the road.
Buy a torque multiplier
To get the combat nuts loose

I always use a Dewalt 20v gun.

Always use copper anti seize on the lugs. Spray the beadlock nuts with dry spray lube coated with Teflon every 90 days

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup- good idea. For the cost of the torque stick or decent breaker bar, I can buy a torque multiplier and keep it in the truck. Nice video for it too.

And I generally coat all lugs and other high torque items with a copper anti-seize as you mention. A little bit of it goes a long way.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never have used a torque stick. Would be interesting to use one then check it with my big torque wrench. Yea the big torque wrench is not for everybody that maybe only needs it once or twice. Yes 500 bucks is a lot and I have not checked the price of a torque stick. My Milwaukee M18 3/4" drive set on power #4 or the highest it will go when I checked it on a wheel stud with my big torque wrench was right around 475 / 485 foot pounds. I do like to set my wheels at close or correct torque and never worried about getting them off. I do have the Milwaukee M18 1" drive but have not at this time checked the power setting. With 1" M18 or the big truck four way plus cheater bar seems like I have been able to remove any lug nut. I use just a couple of drops of oil on the studs but to each his own.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazon has the 475lb torque sticks for -$80. Same range as the Klutch multiplier Wes shows in his video.

Potluckslammy

Just watched that video of the torque multiplier, and my jaw dropped! Never saw one before, but now I gotta have it! About $37 on theBay. Added it to the list! 😁

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks