• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80e electrical sensor connections

richs66chevelle

Hello all!
I see many threads on M1008 4L80e conversions, but they all lack detail. Maybe everyone writes a check, but I do my own. SO....
Have 4L80e and GM Supermatic Controller. Problem is, where to get needed input signals. How, specifically do I get the following.
1. throttle position sensor. (think I can fake this one)
2. Speedometer Control unit Input signal
3. Distributor (tachometer) Input signal

These are required inputs. Others I have worked out. Max details please. Real do it yourself type details..
Hope someone out there actually did this themselves, because I'm stuck. Got the mechanics it's the electronics that got me stumped.
Thanks for your help, this is my first post and I hope it works! Bet lots of folks have these questions!

glassk

2.2.5 Input Speed Sensor - C5
4L80E/4L85E only
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]- This connects to the input speed sensor (TISS) on the 4L80E transmission. This sensor is located in the driver side of the case, towards the front. The 4L60E/4L65E/4L70E transmission does not use this input. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

richs66chevelle

2.2.5 Input Speed Sensor - C5
4L80E/4L85E only
- This connects to the input speed sensor (TISS) on the 4L80E transmission. This sensor is located in the driver side of the case, towards the front. The 4L60E/4L65E/4L70E transmission does not use this input.
Thanks, but wrong connector. I'm talking connector C4, engine rpm signal.

richs66chevelle

richs66chevelle

Google great for looking, not so good for finding. Cannot locate P/N and parts stores say no longer available. Any other choice? Know now early 1990s have vacuum pump with speed sensor,but nobody shown availability. Is this cam driven? I cannot even find a .picture.
HELP!

mcsteffensr

Quick question. Why do you need a vacuum pump if you are converting to a 4L80E? The only reason the vacuum pump is there is for the TH400 modulator. Why not just get a crank driven speed sensor? Also can you use the alt tach output for the trans controller? I am also researching putting a 4L80E in a CUCV.

glassk

The link I posted tells how to use the Alt and build the signal circuit, just no body bothers to read, Plus any thought on changing Y'alls Dash to use an electronic Speedo output,...

mcsteffensr

The link I posted tells how to use the Alt and build the signal circuit, just no body bothers to read, Plus any thought on changing Y'alls Dash to use an electronic Speedo output,...
Thanks for the in depth write up. And it is very understandable. What I was asking was based not just the output directly from the tach wire off the alt. I was under the impression that the tach buffer already in the CUCV did the output formatting already and that square wave signal it sent to the DCA connector for military test equipment to hook up to. Also in my post I said "crank speed sensor" I meant cam speed sensor. Like the one in the 6.2l HWMMVs. Thank you again for your input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks