• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4X4 deuce offroad

jeli

How do deuces converted to a 4X4 configuration do offroad? I'm considering dropping an axle but I wouldn't bob it. Looking at the original rear design the axles can oscillate all over the place. If you run a front spring setup in the rear won't it force the frame to twist more or bottom a spring and lift a wheel?

TheBuggyman

If you dropped an axle and did not bob the truck you would either have a horrible departure angle or a horrible breakover angle.

The stock "3-link" used in these trucks also require the leafsprings to locate the axle side to side. The links absorb the rotational forces produced by the gearset.

You could use half of a leaf pack like a "buggy" spring to suspend the axle and locate it using the toque rods to transmit force I suppose.

Could you do it? Sure! Anything can be done, will it be hard? Absolutely! Will it be unique? Bet your bottom dollar.

dirtyfingernails

There's a fellow in our club (first florida chapter of the MVPA) who did this to a 5 ton (as buggyman indicates). He kept the original spring pack on the rear, removed the rear axle, and made a stanchion to hold the rear part of the spring pack in place. Very nice work.
Steve

jeli

I guess I wasn't real clear. I don't want to drop an axle off the existing suspension and make it work like that. If I convert my deuce to a 4x4 and hang the rear most axle in the same location using a front leaf setup will those springs give me a fair amount of travel? I know this will effect a lot of things because of the distance between the front and rear axle but I don't want to induce too much twist into the frame.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frame is designed to twist. Thats why the back cab mounts are close together and on springs. The front bed mounts are sprung for the same purpose. I wouldn't worry at all about twisting the frame too much on a bobbed deuce. The front springs will give you decent articulation though.

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
The frame is designed to twist. Thats why the back cab mounts are close together and on springs. The front bed mounts are sprung for the same purpose. I wouldn't worry at all about twisting the frame too much on a bobbed deuce. The front springs will give you decent articulation though.
I agree. I get a lot of twist running my trucks off road. no problems

CGarbee

BigwheelBob had no problems with the flex on his bob'ed duece last year in the Uwharrie during a trail ride the the full size Jeep crowd hosted (M715Zone). He had some problems with his Sprage not wanting to engage, but that's a different matter...

The shots I took durring the trip really don't do justice to the trails (they never really do...), but you can get an idea by looking at what I posted on my website... Photos 38-43 or so show us approaching a ledge, then his mouting it.

Since I was driving my M37 and trying to take photos... you get what you pay for... :)

See:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos48.htm

Length would have been a problem for him on these trials if he had not shortened the truck... As it was, he had a couple of trails that he was still too large to run (turning radius/width...).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks