• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4X4 selection

Weezer4117

For everyday driving, what range should I operate a M880 in? There are a few selections, Im wondering if I have it wrong causing the transmission to get hot. Withouy looking, I think there is a hi/lo/n operation. I have never operated a truck that was all time 4x4, but i have to assume that the truck needs to be in 4hi.... thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your transfer case has 5 selections. High lock, High, neutral, Low and Low lock. Both lock positions are for off road/slick surfaces only. Using these on hard dry pavement causes bad juju. Low is low and limits top speed to about 35 MPH. Use high.

Weezer4117

Thanks, I will double check to see where its set. I dont drive this truck alot (maybe 300 miles per year) to the woods for firewood and in the winter with its western plow. A few times the tranny has gotten uncomfortably hot and im just making sure I am operating it normally. I have NEVER really worked this truck. And even in the winter I only plow 3-4 short driveways near my house. The hump in the cab near the tranny gets pretty hot to the touch. This is somewhat natural im sure but a guy cant hold his hand there for long. The exhaust from the engine plays in a little but I just dont like that it gets so hot.....