• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 Step Van - ID? Any way to title?

flybox

I bought this van on ebay. I think it is military, and it seems to be in the CUCV category. It is a Chevy P30 step van, converted to 4WD, 6.2L diesel, 24v. The roof is lower than normal for a step van, and the rear-most part is slanted even lower, probably to make it fit on a cargo plane. (Thus my username, flybox.) The roof is diamond-plate, for hauling duffel bags, maybe.

The VIN indicates 1984. The conversion was done by 4 Wheel Drive Engineering, of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Is there an Mxxxx number for this one? Does anyone know anything about it?

The bad news: the engine has a head gasket leak (at least), and I have no paper trail to get a title.

It will be useful for fixing tractors in the top pasture, etc. even without a title, but I would like to know if there is any way to get one for it. (I live in Alabama.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

datsunaholic

I doubt there's a M-number, and I don't think it's Army. If anything, it's Air Force. The Coast Guard also bought converted vehicles- the Coastie unit that lived next door to my USNR unit had a late-90s Ford E350 15-passenger 4WD van that was a conversion job.

While unrelated, the conversion company that did the conversion on your van also converted my 1978 Datsun pickup back in 1978. I didn't realize they were out of SLC; my Datto 4X4 had been through so many States it was hard to tell, and the conversion dataplate didn't have that info.

86M10086.2L

If you search on google, there are a few companies around the country that can get you a new title for the truck. Costs @ $175-$250. Essentially they buy the truck from you and title it in their state and then "re-sell it" back to you with the new title and you just register it with that in your state. I believe that there are a few in AL. You just need to check with either the police or the DMV to make sure it was never stolen. I understand the DMV is pretty easy going there. You might even be able to do something yourself

Quick Story:

My friends father has family in AL. don't know where, but he was telling me about when they bought their 1950 GMC pickup. They bought it up here in NY with no paperwork (had been sitting in an empty field for decades) went to the DMV down in AL. told them it was on his property (in AL.)when he bought it, and he now wanted to register it. They asked him what year he thought the truck was, and if it had a vin#, signed some paperwork and presto AL title. Might have taken a few trips but you get the basic idea. Might be worth at least a phone call to the DMV.

AJMBLAZER

Definitely not a CUCV and doubtful if it's got a M number. Probably just another vehicle needed for some specific use at one time in the past.

Be interesting to see the suspension, drivetrain, and axles.

flybox

Got Pics?
OK, I took some fresh pictures this morning.

Drivetrain stuff:
from the ebay description (my printout cut out a few words, though):
"Front axle is a ... 10 bolt unit, rear is a Rockwell 12 bolt."
"Both axles have disc brakes"
"Heavy duty 1.5 ton suspension, turbo 400 transmission with mounting boss for a PTO"
"Rear axle is a Rockwell with a 5:29 gear. The #s on the tag are (A611200p-484) (116461014) (145842)"

I will get more underneath photos or descriptions if anyone wants.

Thanks

Attachments

flybox

I doubt there's a M-number, and I don't think it's Army. If anything, it's Air Force. The Coast Guard also bought converted vehicles- the Coastie unit that lived next door to my USNR unit had a late-90s Ford E350 15-passenger 4WD van that was a conversion job.

While unrelated, the conversion company that did the conversion on your van also converted my 1978 Datsun pickup back in 1978. I didn't realize they were out of SLC; my Datto 4X4 had been through so many States it was hard to tell, and the conversion dataplate didn't have that info.
Datsunaholic - Someone named Seth in a Yahoo group suggested that they are now Advance 4WD.

Elwenil

Wild looking truck for sure. Front axle is a Dana 70! Heavy Duty

Agreed, that is a closed knuckle Dana 70 front axle. Not the most desirable axle out there but it does have some beef to it. I wonder how they got disc brakes on it? By the pic it looks like it still has drum brakes.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could give somebody a bill of sale in GA. let them get a tag then sale it back to you don't need a title in Ga for anything made before 1985. there are a few pices of paper to fill out but not a big thing . check out your State Reg. if you buy a truck in a state that does not have to have a title . If I can help PM me I live in Rockmart Ga about 15 miles from state line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks