• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Air Tank system Question

Rifleman

I have been working on getting all the tools needed for my truck to fix a flat tire on the side of the road. One of the last tools i need is the geared lug wrench but on fleabay they want almost 150 bucks with shipping.

Now i had a friend suggest that i use an air impact gun and use the trucks air system to remove the lug nuts. I can buy a made in the USA air impact that has the power to remove the lugs for around 160 bucks.

So my question to you all is this, does my M925 have enough air in it's system with the truck running to be able to run an air impact gun?

Some of the guns i have looked at can use up to anywhere from 6 to 10 CFM of air and that seems like alot of air, so have any of you done this using your trucks air tanks?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't think it can supply enough air to run a large impact that would be required to take truck lug nuts off. You might run a small ratchet off it but they are small tanks and the system is limited to around 120 psi. I bet you could run a roofing nailer off it. I have seen 24v ones that plug into the slave port. I have a big breaker bar and a piece of pipe that I can put on the end it will loosen the big lugs and a big ratchet to take over from there but to be honest I probably couldn't change the big tire myself I would have to pay a service truck to come out and help me.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geared lug nut wrenches for $150 is not a bad price. Yes, they can be found cheaper sometimes. They are made by Ken Tool #34545. New would knock your socks off. The set with the correct handles for budd wheels retails at NAPA for close to $700

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing to have on truck is bud socket, large breaker bar with extension and cheater pipe. However, I have used the big 1inch impact wrench as well as a small impact wrench to take off and put on lug nuts, using the truck air supply. The thing to remember about the impact wrenches is that their impact is porportional to the air pressure. The larger the impact wrench, the quicker the air pressure goes down. When the air pressure gets too low to loosen the nut, give it a little time for the air pressure to build back up. A good way to do this is just break the nuts loose while you have initial high pressure and then take them the rest of the way off with the lower pressure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks