• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Axle Gearing

DesertClimbers

Quick question: Do the 5 ton trucks, such as the M818 tractor truck have the same gear ratio as say the M816 wrecker? Were there ever different gear ratio options?

How about the ratios compared to the 2.5 ton?

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most 5 tons have 6.44 gears. Exceptions are the rocket launchers in which some had 10.26 gearing. Offroadfabworks was discussing an 8.88 gear he was in search for. I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Deuces have 6.72 gearing.

Re: RE: 5 Ton Axle Gearing

Recovry4x4 said:
Most 5 tons have 6.44 gears. Exceptions are the rocket launchers in which some had 10.26 gearing. Offroadfabworks was discussing an 8.88 gear he was in search for. I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Deuces have 6.72 gearing.

correct. There is 3 gear ratios for the 5 ton rockwells. 6.44, 8.88, 10.26. The 6.44 is what you will find in most scrap yards and in most trucks around except for the rocket launchers and such that had the 10.26. From what i been able to dig up and discuss with Boyce and others The 8.88 has replaced with the 10.26 gear ratio. Everyone has heard of them, and knows of the 8.88 but has never been able to have any around... We stock the brand new gears 6.44, and 10.26 gears. They can all interchange in the same chunk. But the odds of finding a 8.88 is slim to none..

There are a few non military ratios available for the 5 ton also. I have several sets of 5.81 ratio dropouts and also a set of 7.54 ratio dropouts and a set 0f 9.34 ratio drop outs there are quite a few others too but were only found on civilian use toploaders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks