• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Battery Kill Switch??

WildernessJeep

My 1984 M936 has dead batteries every time I go to start it. These are NAPA military-style (the square ones) batteries less than a year old. I know I have a trickle drain somewhere in the truck, but damn if I can find it. I'd like to put a battery kill switch on it. Anyone have any pictures, part numbers, or guidance? Picture for attention.

1807221512_20221209090001_IMAG2539-100-2539.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My 1984 M936 has dead batteries every time I go to start it. These are NAPA military-style (the square ones) batteries less than a year old. I know I have a trickle drain somewhere in the truck, but damn if I can find it. I'd like to put a battery kill switch on it. Anyone have any pictures, part numbers, or guidance? Picture for attention.

View attachment 885919
There are pretty good options for battery switching at Summit Racing.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put my cutoff switch at the end of the battery box on the drivers end. It is a Cole Hersec
Besure to put it on the Neg. side. The black box in my battery bix is for the Econ lights on the truck, All the battery cables are not hooked up to switch in this photo.
COLE HERSEE 2484-03-BX - 2484-03 - 2484

100_3417.jpg

KN6KXR

Pretty much any of the heavy duty ones will work. I have one with a little key. I mounted mine at the dead space at the end of the battery box, like above, along with a 70A 24/12 voltage converter and a fuse box for 12V stuff. Probably do a little inverter and remote on/off at some point. Lots of options plenty of space.

To find your drain disconnect the positive and put a DVM between positive and chassis. You'll read a low resistance (under a couple hundred kOhm). Then disconnect one thing at a time. When the resistance jumps higher you've got the culprit. At least one of them anyway. Then track it down. Schematics in the TM's are pretty decent. Simple. Takes time but simple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks