• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Brake problems

kstate90

I have a 1970 AM General 800 series 5ton 6x6 that I have been having brake problems with. It was originally a dump truck that we converted to a fire truck under FEPP. I noticed that the pedal was getting soft so I checked the fluid and it was low. Added about 1/2 a quart and got the brakes working. Went to drive it today and noticed a puddle under the truck. On the side of the air valve next to the master cylinder there is a vent tube and it appears that the brake fluid is coming out of that. Do I need a new Air valve? I assume that a seal inside the air cylinder valve has gone bad and is spitting the fluid out. We have 2 other trucks like this and have not had this problem. The master cylinder has been replaced at some point as it is painted white. I have brakes but not very good. Brakes need to be good on this as it carries about 1200 gallons of water. Thanks.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
You mean the brake booster? If it is leaking out of that you probably can get a rebuild kit but if you don't want to mess with that swap it out with a good used or new unit. Even thinking of driving that truck even unloaded is not the correct answer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks