• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Clutch Release Bearing

m139h2otruck

We have finally got the converted M139 (bridge truck) water truck to a jobsite for use. Everything works great but there is a small noise from the clutch release bearing when depressed. Have tried to download manuals from the tech section on two different computers and can't seem to get anything. Is the release bearing greasable? The LO manual we have makes no mention of it and the O&M manual l(-20?) we have is the field use book not the shop manual. Other big trucks/equipment can have a greasable bearing that is connected to a hose or fitting on the outside of the bellhousing. Is the fitting behind the access cover?

Low range 2nd gear works great for watering the site and roads, but it is a verrrry long ride over the road at 35-45 mph empty with 20 cars behind you! R6602 runs fine, but seems very underpowered and under geared. Will try and post photos of the truck at work, but will have to wait for the son to do it, as I don't know how, or can't make the camera work!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FYI, I couldn't open the TM's with Mozilla (Firefox) but had no problem with MS Internet Explorer.

Jones

Looked in my TMs and it appears that the sliding collar can be lubed with a grease fitting accessable through the bellhousing inspection plate but that the clutch release bearing is a sealed bearing and not servicable. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

jasonjc

You need to keep in mind that the R6602 was a power house in it's day 40 or 50 years. and that 35-45 is a lot faster than the hore and buggy could go.

just last week my throw out bearing started to squeak. took a drill bit extension and a 1/16 " bit and put a hole in the back side of the bearing. then took a needle point grease gun and gave it a bit of lube. a little silicone to plug the hole and the band aid was applied. dont know how long it will work but it bought me some time. went on a 6 day trail ride and there is still no noise. by the way this was on my XM818

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks