• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton dump trucks as gun trucks in Vietnam

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any in-country pics of any 5-ton M51 dump trucks in Vietnam being used as gun trucks? I talked to a vet not long ago, who said that whenever the GIs in his unit could get a ride in a dump truck, they preferred to pick that instead of a standard cargo truck, since the metal sides of the dump body afforded some protection from the VC roadside attacks. That was standard dumps, however. Then, recently I saw a model of a 5-ton M51 dump that had been made into a gun truck. I don't have my new copy of Hard Ride Vol. 1 yet, so I have nothing to go on. Anyone have any pics of the dump trucks with guns and armor mounted?

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I don't have any pics of the older dump gun trucks, but I had an M817 that came from Iraq that CARNAC told me had a SAW mount in the bed. It was some sort of mounting that was welded onto the cab protector. I also found some rounds in the cab.

Driver523

Oh yeah----The burn't out truck was the first Invader---alotta holes in that truck---In James Lyles second book he says it was destroyed on Mang Giang pass in 1969--it was with the 299th Engr. Bat.---------Driver

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking over the list of gun trucks in Hard Ride, Vol. 2, it appears there was only 9 dump trucks that were used as gun trucks in Vietnam. They include:

CHEAP THRILLS, M51 dump, Engineers
DEALER OF DEATH, M51 dump with armored bed, B-Co, 4th Plt, 299 Eng
EVIL DOER, 5-ton dump with armored box, 937 Gp
INVADER, M51 dump, 299 Eng Bat, destroyed in Mang Giang Pass 1969
INVADER II, M51 dump, 299 Eng Bn
THE JUDGE, M51 dump w/box, 937 Grp, 815 Eng
PEACE MAKERS, M51 dump with armored bed, unit unknown
PEACE TRAIN, M51 dump with M113 APC in bed, 8th Eng Bn
SUNSHINE SUPERMAN, dump truck

There may have been a couple more, but suffice to say the number of M54 cargo trucks turned into gun trucks, as well as M35 based gun trucks, grossly outnumber the dumps.

jollyroger

This is the most awesome thread I have seen in a long time. I just got a 5 ton dumper and it is very tempting to recreate a gun truck out of it. Too bad I need it for the farm more than making it into a gun truck. Oh well. Guess I will just have to look for another one.;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks