• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton front winch troubles, won't go in "Reverse"

Towman2277

Hey everyone,
I have a 1960 M-139 5-Ton "bridge Truck" with the 20,000 lb. front mounted winch.

My problem is that I can't seem to get it to grab reverse! I have had a friend slip the clutch, while I lay underneath and try to "Help" the PTO control rod go all the way into reverse mode, but it seems to go as far as possible, and still won't go in reverse!! It's very nerve racking, 'cuz since it won't grab, it steadily pulls in, and i'm scared i'm gonna tear it all to pieces! Also I can't get it to free-spool! The small lever onlys moves about 1/2 and inch, and it says clearly "do NOT force', so i'm up the creek two ways with no paddle!! Any help would be appreciated!!

eddiec

do not force it into free wheel. spray penetrating oil, a lot. i do not have to force my duece winch into free wheel, but i do have to use consideral amounts of pressure to get to release. actually, since it has not been used in a while, a rubber hammer would probably work the best, it will jar loose any rust or foreign material built up on the shaft, but will no enable you to give enough force to break the slide gear inside.

try turning winch drive shaft by hand or with a bar thru the yoke. of course with eng OFF and pto and transmission in nuetral. while turning the shaft 1 or 2 revs each way, have a helper apply steady pressure to the winch lever. not to much but steady. you also can pop the 1 bolt out of the end of the shift rail on pto. that way positive pto engagment can be verified. i have messed with these a bit and thats where i would start. be sure to let us know the outcome.

Towman2277

Thanks Dave, Now the one bolt I can pop out of the shift rail, is that a bolt on the actual shift rod, to disconnect it from the shift lever, so I can manually try to push the rod to reverse? The wierd thing is, before I bought the truck, the owner hopped up in it, threw the winch in reverse, and away it went spooling out. I called him on the phone, and he said it is tricky to find. Only thing I can get it to do, is come in fast and slow, and grab nuetral. I've had someone pull the lever up and me physically "help" slide it the direction it needs to go, and it seemed to go all the way, but maybe not. Thanks for your help, Steve Saraland, AL

i was'nt real clear on my thoughts. yes pull the linkage off the pto and try to feel the detents in the rail. but first with the pto in nuetral and engine off, try turning the winch drive shaft by hand or with a bar thru the yoke both directions while having helper apply constant pressure to the clutch lever on the winch it self. this is so you can get the winch in neutral. that way when you play with the pto you wont have to worry about the drum turning and eating up some expensive winch parts. also dont ever operate winch without disengaging drum lock. otherwise it will eat the drum lock off. this will have to be disengaged before you try to turn it by hand also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks