• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton hard top & heater

junkyardog

im lookiing into a 5 ton truck to plow snow. i picked the 5 ton because it has power stearing. does any one use theres in the winter if so how is the heat in them. i have plowed with a oshkosh before and the heat was horrible.(and i like the cold)i will have to buy a after market heater, and a hard top. any body have one for sale.how is the multifuel in the winter. thanks for any help. i live in new hampshire mabey someone can guide me in a direction to someone up this way

scooter01922

Anytime i can help out someone with a green iron addiction i will. You have come to the right place for homework. Check out the 5 ton forum a bit and i'm sure you will learn more about these trucks than you thought possible.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The heater in my 818 was OK, but it takes a good while to build up heat in that big engine. A winter front will help with that as will an electric block heater. If you really want the best heat out there, find a fuel burning heater kit. Those suckers will cook the soles off of your shoes.

BEASTMASTER

i've been plowing with mine ever since i got it in 2003.i like the cold too. the hardest problem is keeping the windows defrosted. i put in one heaterjust for the windshields and it still fogged up .the next year i put in another heater to help the first one, and that seemed to fix the problem 90% of the time. i also put a little defroster fan on each side of the windshields. sometimes i push the windshields out about a half an inch for the fresh air movement.

madsam

I put a block heater in my m816. This helps for both time heating up the engine, but also makes it easer to start. I have started mine in -30f and it only needed 3 squirts of starting fluid. Once the engine warms up it works ok. Some times I have to open the windshields to keep them defrosted. My problem is that there are holes in the floors that let in a lot of cold. I have fixed some of them, but plan on fixing the rest before next winter.

desertfox

What model of 5 Ton do you have? I have a 5 Ton 1968 Kaiser dump with multifuel. I see Beastmater uses his dump to plow. They put 2 different transmissions in the 5 tons. 1 low geared and the other with a higher ratio. Mine is low therefore 45 mph is top speed at a safe rpm. Depending on when yours was demiled the injection pump may or may not be set to the later EPA standards. Therefore it may smoke like a choo choo if it has not be recalibrated to the later standards. Mine lays down a smoke screen with just the slightest load.I do not plow with mine but I am sure it would be helpful to put some weight in the bed to assist with traction. Mine is like a "pig on ice" in packed snow. Anyway, glad to see you amoung the addicted. It usually infects, festers and grows. Post photos.

BEASTMASTER

hey junkyardog, my buddie got a 62 M -51 gasser like mine, runs excellent, don't look to bad,he was looking for 3 grand for it a while back,want me to see if he still wants to sell it ?? :driver:

Monty

BEASTMASTER said:
hey junkyardog, my buddie got a 62 M -51 gasser like mine, runs excellent, don't look to bad,he was looking for 3 grand for it a while back,want me to see if he still wants to sell it ?? :driver:
I'd be interested in it if he's not, it would look nice next to my M-54.

junkyardog

thank you for the 2 1/2 ton offer

i would like to stay with a 5 ton because of the power stearing, and the fact it would handle a 11 foot plow a little better. i would also be interested in a desent oshkosh if any are around. have cash waiting for the right truck. i also have a very clean m37 for sale.11x16 tires locking hubs eletronic ignition ( not in yet)hardtop, soft top nice truck . i need to get 6000 if any body has a interested. pictures through email if interested. :eek: :eek:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks