• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton heaters...functional differences?

rmgill

Can anyone explain the functional differences between heaters on the various models of 5 tons is?

Specifically, M54 (slick models), Macks, Multifuels and M809s...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, there are two different types of heaters...hot water heaters and fuel burning heaters. I am not sure of this, but I bet there were different models with slightly different ratings, too. As I said, I'm not sure of this, though. I believe both the hot water and fuel burning heaters are rated at 30,000 BTUs. However, you get much more efficient, intense heat from the fuel burning heaters. The problem is that they are more rare and more expensive when you do find them. With regard to functional differences, if I understand you correctly, the hot water heater takes a while to produce heat (until the motor is good and warm). The fuel burning heater puts out almost instantaneous heat...it takes a minute or so for it to fire up. Then, it is like standing next to a furnace.

98hd

There is also the location difference between the M809 series and previous models. I think the earlier trucks basically use a Deuce heater kit. While in the M809 the correct kit places the heater on the passenger side, has some different brackets for mounting, and the diverter box has the inlet on the opposite side. I believe the standard heater box is the same, or very similar.

goldneagle

There is also the location difference between the M809 series and previous models. I think the earlier trucks basically use a Deuce heater kit. While in the M809 the correct kit places the heater on the passenger side, has some different brackets for mounting, and the diverter box has the inlet on the opposite side. I believe the standard heater box is the same, or very similar.
My M820A2 has the same heater as the Deuce except its on the passenger side. I have taken these heaters apart before and they are a very simple design. Its a metal box with a blower fan on one end, a smaller coil that the coolant flows through, and the output port.

I actually cut my box shorted to make space on the fender for future filters.:grin: