• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton multi fuel fuel system question

pigpen60

A fella i associate with is working on a 5 ton tractor with a multi fuel engine. It wont start and was found to have had water in the fuel and froze and broke the fuel filter housing, when they opened the filter Housing they found(or didnt find?) the filter material missing. Now they have replaced/repaired the housing and installed filters and no start. Fella says its squirting before the injectors. nOw the question is do the injectors "pop" when the pump builds sufficient pressure? Im wondering if filter material and or water have gotten into the pump and screwed the pooch. Thoughts?

dmetalmiki

Broke the fuel filter housing?..it (the vehicle) must have had more water than diesel to do that. And if so, what other damage has been caused elswhere? The diesel filters have been known to collapse due to negligent servicing, and then, the remanents floated round the piping system right up to the fuel pump inlet. Sounds like a disaster in the making, and only a FULL strip down and service of the relevant piping filters and possibly the first pump needs to be implementsd.. Not neglecting the in Tank and pump with outgoing piping.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Does the engine turn over at all?

If water got all the way to the injectors at the head it could be hydro locked.

Bypass all the filters and using a portable tank of fuel see if you can get fuel to the injectors that way.

Make sure you either have a new fuel jug or one that has absolutely no contamination in it.

Elevating the temp tank above the IP will get fuel to the pump without having the in-tank pump working.

Give it a whiff of starting fluid to get it turning over.

You can also crack the injector lines on top of the IP to make sure fuel is in the lines to the injectors at the heads. You really need special line wrenches to do this.

You may also have to bleed the injector lines by cracking the nuts on the lines where they go into the head.

It's good to have a set of hot batteries when doing this since you may have to do some cranking to get the system primed. Don't overheat the starter.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, if I've had the fuel sys apart, 75% of the time it takes a minor whiff of starting fluid to get her to wake up. I PMd my number if you have questions.

pigpen60

The engine cranks but the fella has weak batteries. Runs when you ether it. Ill pass on the temp tank plan. I was told that it ran like crap and would die when you would let off the throttle. Sounds like maintenance was nonexistent.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In the case that it runs with starting fluid, it should stay running. I'd check the fuel shut off on the side of the hydraulic head.

If that doesn't move freely, that is your issue.

pigpen60

Well like i said earlier its squirting fuel out before the injector. Ill give the fella a clean fuel can so he can try the temporary tank idea. If the fella working on it could get the victim to the shop i'd be more willing to get dirty. The mechanics dad has a towing/repair business just a 1/4 mile down from the victim but the yards too tight to bring it in right now and its not a paying job so..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks