• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton PS Pump on a Deuce ?

baxter

Yes it will bolt right on but you will have to modify the radiator shroud. Ill try to find a good pic.
Vaughn

Last edited:

baxter

Gringltaube did a great thread on power stering and he was a great help to me in my conversion I used a 5 ton pump, Ross hf542996 geer box and a gamma goat wheel and column.

ida34

I do not thing an 800 series pump will bolt on but a pump from a multifuel 5 ton will. Remember when you post stuff like this to specify which five ton you mean. There are at least 3 current generations being used. The m39 series had a gas engine, mack diesel, or a multifuel engine. The 800 series five tons had cummins engines and the 900 series also had cummins engines.

ida34

Now that I think about it the 800 and 900 series had a belt driven pump while the multi had the direct mount to the front the engine hear the injection pump.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... reviving this one for some more info and a word of caution....

Q: can any Multifuel PS-pump be mounted to any Multifuel engine???
A: Yes but.... there is at least one exception to this rule.... (which I found out just a few days ago, the hard way, of course)...!aua

Who would have suspected that not all IP timing gears are created equal, even if the TM's show P/N 10935218 being common to ALL of them including the LDS427-2....!?

Problem: This is another TEAD-rebuilt, dyno tested LDS427-2 engine, recently installed in one of my gassers.
First oil change (before installation): everything OK and almost nothing sticking to the magnetic plugs. Second oil change, after retrofitting with PS-pump and some short test driving: suspicious shavings... !!!:?

---> out comes the pump and voilà... there was evident interference between the pump driven gear and the 3 bolts holding the IP driven gear in place! Found the bolt heads severely worn and polished while the (harder) pump gear face had suffered some, too. Luckily a bit of axial play on the (spring loaded) IP advance shaft helped to avoid a much greater disaster...!

But how comes.... ??? Well, it became clear that Mr. Murphy likes to play with Multifuel engines on this side of the Equator, too.........!!
Also clear: that particular IP gear is an odd part from who knows what shelf (!?) and NOT used in 3 other identical engines. It is stamped 1088981 but could be missing one last digit (?) according to the similar 8-digit number found for the camshaft timing gear. (see pics)

For some stupid reason the center of this gear measures 11/16" in thickness, while all others I have are only 7/16" and the corresponding hub is less than 3/8" in height, anyways. (see drawing)

Solution: remove 1/8" from center portion, front face; replace 3 bolts, set timing; re-install pump, lines, radiator, grill, replace fluids, etc...

Conclusions: never be too confident; always check clearances twice!
(and a never ending learning process... just curious if this would ever happen to anyone else in our group...? Probably NOT!)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks