• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton transmission information?

BDC1

I am new to the site and in need of information. First off, Howdy everyone. I do not own a 5 ton yet, I am presently looking at a 1970 model 818. I have driven it and could not get the transmission into 4th gear without grinding. I tried multiple times with up shifting and down. Are these transmissions synchronized? I have not been able to find the real answer. Help here would be really appreciated. As long as I am asking, is there anything else I should really be looking for. Thank you, Chris

augiedoggy

I am new to the site and in need of information. First off, Howdy everyone. I do not own a 5 ton yet, I am presently looking at a 1970 model 818. I have driven it and could not get the transmission into 4th gear without grinding. I tried multiple times with up shifting and down. Are these transmissions synchronized? I have not been able to find the real answer. Help here would be really appreciated. As long as I am asking, is there anything else I should really be looking for. Thank you, Chris
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!
The transmissions Are synchronized and should have no grinding into gears.
Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.
I'd figure a price on replacing the trans (with a used one), as replacement parts can be pricey.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't buy a truck with a transmissions that grinds gears unless you get it for at least $1K less than what one with a good transmission is worth. It can cost you that much to fix a transmission, not counting the hassle of getting it in and out of the truck.