• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton transport question.

Black750

Hello all,
I'm new here. This is my first post.
Yesterday I went to look at a 5 Ton truck that a member here has. He lives very close to me and I just saw it going down the road with a for sale sign. I'm not sure what the member's SN is.
Anyway, I have several questions regarding my intended use for this truck. I am in the machining business and need a truck to transport large, heavy parts to customers. Something F-650 sized or bigger. For the price this seems like a good solution. Went for a test drive yesterday and the owner drove us down the road at 60 mph with no problems. Sure it's a little noisy and might get a little chilly in the winter but it will basically haul anything. On any terrain for that matter.
I know it's not necessarily practical but does it sound like a reasonable idea for it's use?
Are there any things I should be worried about maintenance-wise?
I'm in Illinois. Is registration and insurance a problem? Expensive as compared to a semi-truck?
Do I need a CDL being an owner-driver to transport material?
I will have to get the model but it's a 1988 5 Ton with a Cummins. I'll try and get more specs.

TIA,
RLTW

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on using it for a business all commercial regulations will apply . You should check woth your insurance carrier to see if they will insure it ( insurance theards will get locked on here , there are hunreds of them to search through though ).
Unless your doing alot of off-road work it's probably not practicial as a work truck . The initial price might be cheap but they are high maintainance and not all parts readily availible without ordering , so can you afford extended down time waiting for parts ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a neat toy I wouldn't want to rely on them for my business though unless you have a very large fleet of them and unlimited resources to maintain them.

M925

1. Probably not practical, 4.3 MPG. Extremely tall bed height. Parts? Split rim tires? 11.00R20 Tires WOOO $$$.....but coolness factor +100,000,0000.

2. But probably good if you aren't delivering long distances. I say do it.....

3. The Alison Transmission is a LEGEND!!!!!! Emphasis LEGEND!!!!

4. CDL depends on the state....in VA, No as long as you don't use it for business.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been covered many times.

I will say this, the M939 trucks will eat tires like crazy when driven on the road day in/day out (especially if heavy loaded). The thing will drink probably twice as much fuel as a F650.

They are great trucks but they aren't meant to run down the hwy economically.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks