• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Turbo

vlmuke

There is a five ton for sale the ad states that the turbo is leaking oil. thats all I know my question is what is the most likely problem? is it any easy fix? would I have to rebuild the turbo? is are parts readily available? is it drivable in this condition so i can get it back to my place?
any help or info would be aprreciated
TIA
RichB

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich,
Which motor is in it? If it's the LDT 465, should be NO problems finding and swapping out a turbo. WORST case would be to remove the turbo before driving it home. BEST case would be to purchase another one (used or new) and swap that out prior to driving it home. I have several people who have told me it's easy. I have not done anything to my turbo, as it seems to be working quite well.

I'm NOT the best guy to answer this one, but I'm pretty sure if you can get a good deal on the 5 ton truck it MIGHT be worth it.

Be aware that if you do purchase the 5 ton, some of the parts are incrementally more expensive than a deuce. That's not a bad thing, as a lot of the deuce parts (bed, cab, engine, etc) are on both deuce and five ton.

At least I think that's correct.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
You would have to actually look at it. Most all turbos can be rebuilt or just replaced. It could just be leaking oil on the oil return line or supply line or you could have seals inside that are going bad allowing some oil into the intake. I wouldnt be too concerned with a leaking turbo if the price is right for the truck. If you are mechanical, you can rebuild it yourself for 50-100 bucks. I would say chances are it is drivable but then the only way to really tell is to inspect it.

be extremly carefull. as i said in other post's this could be the cause for windows into the souls of our engines !! Like Djfreema said, you really have to look at it to see exactly whats going on. how much is it leaking? where is it leaking from? how far would you have to drive it? i bought a turbo for my continental from kublo's . i think $220:eek:o including shipping. and he included all the little extras ie bolts, studs, gasket. way cool people.

Dieselsmoke

Djfreema said:
or you could have seals inside that are going bad allowing some oil into the intake. .
Which is a VERY bad thing as this will cause a runaway engine if it's leaking bad enough. We know for a fact that diesel engines will run on engine oil. If the leak is bad enough it will run on the oil until every last drop that can be picked up by the oil pump is pushed through the turbo. :shock:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we brought home our M543A2, the turbo bearings and seals let go about 10 miles from home. The resulting smoke cloud would make a locomotive jealous! There was never any signs of the engine trying to run wild. We had black oil deposits all over the side of the truck. We made sure the crankcase stayed at a safe level and drove it on home. We watched for fire out the exhaust to keep temps down, not demanding too much power to build excessive exhaust heat. You can take off the intake pipe at the turbo, grasp the nut on the end of the turbo shaft, and check for excessive side play in the bearings. Note if the impeller rubs the housing, or shows signs of having done so. Check the turbo output tube for oil inside it. Check the exhaust stack for oily residue. These checks will tell you if the leak is in the turbo seals.
Regards Marti

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what he means is it is leaking into the exhaust scroll, so all it does is smoke like crazy and maybe turn into a flame thrower out the stack. Leaking into the intake scroll will cause that runaway problem.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks