• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

56 year old vehicle wiring

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This came out of my current vintage vehicle project that rolled off the assembly line in 1954. The scary thing is that the previous owners drive the vehicle with wiring in this condition..

The larger of the 2 wires hooked directly to the battery to run a siren. No fuse anywhere..
The smaller is the harness that allaches to the starter switch on a CJ that powers the ammeter and other gauges..

I think my new Vinatge Wiring of Maine harness was money very well spent.

How this jeep didnt go up in a ball of electrical shorting flames, I dont know.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wiring on some of these old MVs is scary at best...we have several that we store indoors and we always disconnect the battery cables to prevent an "accidental bonfire"..
I have a fairly nice M37 with a wiring harness that has been butchered and is awaiting replacement. One day I took her for a spin around the industrial park we are in and parked her in front of the truck shop. A few of us were standing around her and suddenly we get a wiff of burning electrical wires and smoke is coming from under the dash!! She's still 24V to.

So yes...wiring is important and dangerous if not in good repair. I think a new wiring harness is much cheaper than buying a new truck shop and equipment...so..

Attachments

m109guy

Vintage Wiring of Maine are a great bunch. Got a new harness for our M37 and it was just plug and play!

The original harness in the M37, like most old trucks, was in horrible shape. We technically could have fixed it, but we didn't want to take a chance that something happens in the future so we ripped it all out and replaced it.

98taco3

always best to replace the wiring even if you do nothing else! ive learned the hard way, my 74 charger had a fire while i was driving it one night because of a previous owners handywork i did not find. had to rebuild the whole engine harness. The new M will be getting a new harness as soon as i have the funds to do so...

waayfast

Great thread! Anyone have a source for the "correct" old style fabric covered wiring in bulk? And connector? My project will need a new wire harness,but I'll have to do it as there seems to be none available that are plug and play. Thanks, Jim

jimm1009

When I ordered the harness from Vintage of Maine for my CJ2A in 2006 it came in the original cloth covered loom with a slightly tougher material.

There is another vendor (have not used them) (besides Vintage of Maine) advertising in Military Vehicles magazine but I don't have one here at work. aua

I should always have this weith me but forgot it today...head up my ... :oops:

jimm1009

Wolf.Dose

Even not original, we in Germany have to reharness the vehicles according to the legal requirements of Germany / Europe. So we usually cut out the original stuff of that age and replace it completely, which is done by a car electrician within one day.
Wolf