• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5T Starting trouble

Mark3395

I had to pull start my M817 Dump truck to get it home successfully. Found a great inspection report in the truck that noted that it needed a new protective control box... relaed to starting.

So I installed a new one yesterday and note that the truck has a Neville starter that doesn't look like the drawings in the manual. Only one contact on the main houseing, no line screwed to the housing, etc. I'll get a magnifier and a flashlight to identify the numbers on the various leads and find out what doesn't belong.

In the meantime, I've printed out the troubleshooting guide from the manual (Ordnance guys are queer for manuals) but a having trouble there too. for instance, it notes a line 74 connecting to the starter solenoid... but it ends at an S like symbol. There's another extengind from the ignition switch. I can't find a reference advising what this symbol means. Looks like a drafting symbol that's used when shortening a shaft drawing, for instance, but it doesn't make sense in this matter.

Anybody know what's up wiht the Neville starter and the difference in the drawing?

What's lead 74 supposed to connect to?

I'll take in my multimeter and start going throught the guide.

Great trucks... when a monkey like me can generally understand and
maintain them. Had a freshly-minted 63B helping me a while back... and he's suspicious that the FMTV series has more to go wrong and won't be as maintainable.

Thanks for the help.

Mark3395

Mark3395

Well, it took a few hours but I got smarter.

Looked into the wiring diagram to find out where things went... like that enigmatic line 74 which went to the new control unit.

Had a diesel mech friend come out and take a look. He sid the starter was wired ok and then started shooting from the hip... diagnosis by replacement and a multimeter. I think the control unit rendered expected readings off. In any case we replaced the master power and the starter switches (damn, I had a couple laying around) and then found a strange thing called an "oil pressure starter cutoff" or something like that. Well, my starter was sure off so we checked it and found it was preventing the control unit from knowing the engine was off. And I had one of those too. Never knew what it was before.

Replaced it and got the good news and bad. The starter works like a champ.

But the engine won't start even at 51 degrees and a decent shot of ether. Looks like it's back to the troubleshooting guides to get it working. Will check the preheater circuit and my friend will to to work adjusting valves etc to see what we can get this engine to do.

Sure is a nice looking truck. So far it's a massive paperweight, but neat.

Am not used to the protective control unit... my previous experience is with deuces. Sure added a complication. Lesson learned is that diagnosis by troubleshooting guide (my approach) was the smart way to go.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Keith Wetzell...I am sure he can help you trouble-shoot your truck! It will work out. Congrats on the acquisition.

dm22630

On my M818, if you pull the "engine stop", it will kill the engine & you wont be able to restart unless you flip some little tab on the engine to reset it. Could something as simple as that be the problem? :?

Mark3395

I hadn't heard or read anything like that. When we got the dump home the electric shutoff switch didn't shut it down because we'd turned the electric shutoff knob in (don't have the manual in front of me so don't remember the correct terms). Had to use the manual stop as expected. I've since turned the electric stop bypass knob back out so that the electric stop is supposed to work.

If there's anything else that needs to be done relative to the mechanical shutoff I don't know of it. Will check the manual and look over the mechanism to see if there's some kind of stop.

Thanks.

poppop

Manual shutoff is your problem. My 813 would not start when I bought it. The GSA guy said several had tried and failed. I raised the hood, had a buddy pull the shut down and push it back in. For some reason they are fixed so the wire just slides back through the eye and will not push the little lever back. Find that on your IP pump, push it towards the front of the truck and it will fire right up.

Mark3395

That's just too logical and simple. I'll try it tomorrow.

Probably clearly stated somewhere in the manual.

I'm sending in a 2028 to recommend a change to the manuals. The wiring diagrams clearly note connection numbers, but the assembly and disassembly instructions are numbered step by step.... and the same lines are numbered sequentially. It'd sure be nice to have the line's circuit number either used or referred to in the instructions in parentheses.

I've succeeded in getting a couple of manual changes made in the past. Takes time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
all the emg. shut downs on the 809 series do not go back to run position when you push the emg. shut down back in, i put a spring on it, so if i have to turn the fuel shut off solenoid in, i can still shut down, then restart.
NOTE this was NOT me idea but was Will Wagners, when my fuel shut off solenoid took a crap so the next time i could avoid the road problem that i had getting the 819 home

Mark3395

Well, I got her started. 29 degrees and a shot of ether. Took a bit of cranking but fired up and ran well. That goofy one-way shutoff cable was indeed the problem. I imagine it's in the manual somewhere but surely didn't note it.

Better go over it again.

Thanks everybody.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks