• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton winch questions!

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy All, just got another 20,000 pound winch for my M54 goin to mount this one in the rear with the gin pole. My question concerns, what part on these winches ussually wear out the most and should i have extra of on hand ( besides shear pins ) I would like to start stocking up on parts that may be a issue if something fails and needs to be replaced so that my winches are not out of service for long periods of time. Thanks for info, Captain

Alredneck

Banned
Ones a garwood the other im not sure yet as I have to dismount it from the other donor vehicle to get a good look at the data plate but it looks the same.

tomesee1

its probably a garwood we run them and have never had any problems what so ever with them and we really put them to the test just make sure they stay full of oil and you should have no problems

808pants

more winch questions...

Piling on with my own winch questions (hopefully not considered a hijack): on my M51, I've got my winch off and partway disassembled to deal with some cosmetic and maintenance issues.

a) I found my right-side gearbox had more water than oil in it (but clean-looking, not rusty, so I'm not that worried about ill effects... yet). I've used the winch once, like five years ago just to re-lay the rope, and it certainly hasn't been immersed in years. When I blew compressed air into the fill-plug to see if I could find a leak, the only obvious bubbling was through the lip-seal at the back, where the PTO couples. I'd expect at least some leakage there, and it wouldn't be easy for water to get in there from rain anyway...so have others found this to be a weak/leak point? If so, is this a generic seal I can get from any supplier?

b) Fairlead: the main roller (shaft & roller-bearing zones) was filled with a half-water, half-grease glop that's obviously rusting the crap out of those components. I live in a very rainy area, so I think the best fix for this would be some kind of corrosion-resistant grease - which I've no experience with. Anyone? I think it's going to always have water infiltrating, since there are no seals (and couldn't be without major re-engineering).

c) are the top & rear channels (heavy-gauge sheetmetal) available for sale anywhere, or should I make replacements? (yeah, I don't want to talk about it...see below...)

d) how much force might reasonably be expected to be required to engage/disengage the release lever during operation? Should one have a mallet or a cheater-bar around as a substitute for Soldier B (always AWOL), who'd otherwise be there to operate the clutch if needed?

Mahalo...Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks