• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton winch

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Long story short, I got a 5ton winch from Timntrucks. It had ALOT of rtv spooged out of the cover that goes over the bull and worm gear. I wanted to open it up and make sure the gears were good before I hung it on my wrecker. (the wrecker's front winch came in sorry shape. Too much effort to rehab when I got this one for a good deal.) The bull and worm gear look new. I made a gasket and put it back together. I did that with it standing on end. When I put it back to it's normal orientation to the ground, I have drips of gear oil coming from the other side. The side with the engauge lever. I have yet to open the drain plug to see what the level is at, but, can gear oil get from one side to the other? It didn't look like it could, but I'm not sure. How hard is it to pull off that other side? I guess I will be reading the -30 tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone knew off-hand.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drum is hollow and the shaft passes through to the other side. I guess it is possible that the gear side is leaking and while you had it standing on end some oil ran through the drum to the other end so when you laid it back down it ran out.