• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel remote start?

Green Gene

I have done some research on a remote start 6.2 but can't find any definite answers to whether it would work. Engine wise, I have a stock m1008 and a 24 volt setup.
1.) Is it do-able, just not recommended or not possible?
2.) If possible what modifications are needed?

Barrman

3 things have to happen to start the engine:

Glow plug circuit activated and given time to function

IP fuel solenoid given power

Starter motor engaged

Maybe a 4th thing with the fast idle solenoid needing depression of the throttle to work.

Skinny

Wire in an auto start controller like for a diesel generator but bypass the speed shutdowns.

Then wire a remote key fob to the two wire input on the controller.

Bam...auto starting diesel CUCV.

Keith_J

The only sticking point is pre glow delay. The rest is academic.

Most diesel remote systems have two way communication, better ones have a WTS light logic with tach sense.

Plenty out there for specific models, I don't have time to research as this bit of kit has yet to tickle me fancy.

Skinny

The fancy controllers will have better control of the glow but you could use the wait to start function of the glow controller to delay the engine start timer in the gen controller. Just have to figure out if that's a switched ground or power and what input on the gen controller can be modified for the starting logic sequence.

Green Gene

Thank you everybody for your replies, I will now be looking into a 2-way remote start kit. How does that work with the injector pump since it is mechanical? This may be a dumb question, but if you can't tell I'm new to the diesel world let alone owning an m1008.

Rennat_2006

Like mentioned above it is doable, biggest issue your going to have is setting the timing advance solenoid on the IP since it is set by pushing the throttle down. Dont know how youll get away from this issue.

The remote start system i have on my 2006 duramax has a adjustable delay once it turns the ignition on for the glow plugs, if i remember right is is set at like 10 seconds in this case. Setting it at 30 seconds or so would be fine for a 6.2l.

You can pick up a tach signal from one of the alternators fairly easily to tell the remote start system it is running.

Other than the IP timing advance setting i dont see it being a big issue.

Green Gene

I know this thread is dying out but, if anybody is still here, how do you go about setting up the alternators for remote start? I have done some research and found out it is best to have an externally regulated alternator(I have an internal regulator). I believe you can use a 1st gen Cummins alternator but I can't find externally regulated alternators for my year of truck because they didn't make them. Or can you buy an external regulator kit for my internal regulated alternators and it works. Has anybody been through this before?

Keith_J

The aftermarket alternator regulators bootstrap without need to blip the throttle. I cannot see any other issue with alternators nor any need for external regulation.

Green Gene

The aftermarket alternator regulators bootstrap without need to blip the throttle. I cannot see any other issue with alternators nor any need for external regulation.
Sorry I did not specify, I need an externally regulated alternator for remote start but in order for remote start I need a tachometer so the remote start system knows that the truck is running. The externally regulated alternator would be for the tachometer. Based on my findings (I could be wrong), internally regulated alternators aren't as robust as externally regulated ones and don't pick up the signal as good for diesels. Would this be correct? Am I missing anything? I would like to buy an externally regulated kit to swap the internal regulator. Is this an easy swap?

Keith_J

How do you like the VDO tach?(last long, good quality?) Otherwise, I was going to go with https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/programmable-digital-tachometer-3-3-8-in-black-trim just to get me by for a while.
Any tips help!
VDO instruments are very high quality, used as OEM on many imports. Instructions are simple but you must measure belt ratio and know the pole count. 7.75 inch crankshaft, 3 inch alternator with 8 poles. 215 Hz output is 625 RPM. Easy as pi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks