• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 injection pump

acmunro

Better check the text book teach

Better check the text book teach, I have clean fuel to the IP. On 1985 and older 6.2's the Governor weight retainer ring breaks down when subjected to water in fuel or alcohol. I thought I could get by by cleaning the check valve and pulling the top of the injector pump and cleaning, but no dice in my case. I don't know how large the retaining ring is, but it sure makes a lot of crap.

Westech

CPL
Ah I never herd of that before. Well there will be a point when that ring just goes south and its all over. I would just replace the pump. you only have to take off the intake and the oil filler tube to do it (done it). I see them on egay all day cheap. I don't know if its worth the hassle to rebuild it rather then replace due to the low cost of the pumps.

acmunro

I learned the hard way, truck lost power and stopped running completely. First thought was replace the fuel filter. I did and it almost started, but did not. I did some research and found out about the retainer break down problem. I removed the check valve and used carb cleaner got some crud out. I put the check valve back in and it started right up. It then stopped running. I pulled the top off and cleaned a lot of junk out of the IP. Ran good for a while, but again it stopped. To get it home once I put a barbed fitting in and an old style fuel filter to catch the debris. Made it home, but long story short. I need to replace that pump.

Westech

CPL
That really stinks. Something so small like a little water will take out that pump. The military replaced my filter this year but now I kinda want to replace it just to know I have done it.

chester247

I think i will replace the injection pump
rather than try to repair it

i cleaned the check valve ,engine started right up ran for about 3 min stalled
did this about 4 times

so i removed the check valve and removed the glass or what ever was inside
engine starts and runs fine
but i notice fuel is still leaking

thanks

acmunro

Sounds like a good idea to replace the IP. I noticed my M1010 surged and didn't run too good without the restriction of the check valve. I think the check valve controls the ignition timing. I heard when the check valve plugs off completely the timing is advanced too far to the point the engine will not run. I would then think if there is not any restriction the timing would be slow. Not sure about that. Anyone else know ?

scottc

GM originally used fiber parts in the pump. Not sure what parts. They break down and clog the check valve. If it gets rebuilt they will not reinstall fiber parts. If you buy another pump that has not been rebuilt it will do the same thing in time. Had the same problem about four years ago. At that time having the pump rebuilt was considerably cheaper. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks