• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 oil pump drive rod failure

camoyj7

Lost oil pressure on my 6.2 diesel when I started it up sat morning so today I started to look to see what happened. I found the end of the oil pump drive rod was broke. I was doing some reading on the problem and what people said is the shaft is made with soft metal and fail on high mile engines. I want to try to get the broken end out of the pump and put a new shaft in to see if the pump is locked before pull the pan. Anyone else have this problem.

camoyj7

It only ran for a few minutes and still sounds good. I would like get the broken piece out and put in a new shaft to see how it sounds and see what the oil pressure is. The truck is my old plow truck and I don't want to put to much time into it if I don't have to.

Ken_86gt

If there was that much stress on the rod- wouldn't that indicate that the oil pump might be jacked up? I think you should pull the pan and look at the pump first.

ryan77

Can u get it out with a magnet? And use a drill to test oil pressure so u dont have to fire the motor up to test it?

Ken_86gt

It may just be me- but I would not feel comfortable trusting the pump to be good even if it passes a drill test. It may not show you that a screw went through the pump and the gears in the pump are all chewed up even though it is still sort of working.

spicergear

Is it possible to run an aftermarket dealie like the heavy duty versions for bbc and sbc?? I know I ALWAYS installed them in any engine I built and got the ones with the steel sleave instead of the nylon sleave dealie.