• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Turbo system

Barrman

The burning of air and fuel is what give the engine power. Adding air but not fuel will increase the efficiency of the engine some. Which might make a 1-5% power increase at some rpm's. Basically, anywhere the NA 6.2 is not efficient the turbo alone might make those rpm's more efficient. A turbo sure is a lot of time and money to go from 18.1 mpg to 18.18 mpg.

That is the theory at least. Do it and let us know what reality says.

Ilikemtb999

I think it depends on elevation honestly. I'm at 5500ft and it wasn't terrible around town. Anything above 8,000ft and it smoked a lot, over 9,000ft it smoked at idle.

Now with the turbo it's got more pep in town and can actually go over half throttle in the mountains (without just making more smoke).

I didn't touch my fuel because I wasn't getting enough air into the engine.

Barrman

Very good point. I am at 468 feet above sea level and normally don't consider elevation change. I am glad to hear about the help at altitude.

welpro222

I may go ahead and give it a try. My engine already has the 6.5 head gaskets with arp head studs, complete arp studs on the bottom end with a custom homemade full length girdle.

welpro222

ok guys, i'm going to pickup the turbo setup tonight. Its a used one complete with engine and full exhaust too for $700, I will be posting pictures and updates on this project when I start putting it on.

If you guys have any suggestions, please feel free as this will be my first time installing a turbo.

Ilikemtb999

The hardest part is getting the passenger exhaust manifold on and off. Very little room. I also used a lot of heat shielding wrap in that area.

The other hard part was fabbing up the cross over and down pipe.

Other than that, it's pretty much bolt on stuff.

Ilikemtb999

I used two different kinds. Got both at Amazon.

I got dei titanium heat sheath that I used on the fuel lines/injectors and then some thermo-tec stick on heat shielding for other random things like some wiring and the main fuel line on the frame.

welpro222

Came out of a 86 suburban with 147k. The turbo kit was added in 2009-2010, so i'm thinking it doesn't have very many miles on it. The tranny (700r4) went out and the owner didn't want to pay for a rebuild, and I guess the shop ended up with it. The shop owner wanted to keep the truck but not the engine, so he sold the engine to a customer (who I got it from).

The engine over all looks great, I'm going to get it on a stand and do a compression check. The turbo is coming off and going into my suburban. If engine is good, I will keep as a spare. If it shows low compression, aww what the heck i'll keep it and rebuild it when I need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks