• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 turning over, but not starting.

Lonesome715

My aircraft tug recently made it home and will not start? From what I hear, it does turn over though. So, what would cause this? I know, I know, that is a pretty vague question. But I am only looking for any common problems I should look for. I will be home on R&R hopefully soon and I do not want to spend a lot of time on this. To my understanding, if the engine turns over and is getting fuel it should start. Am I correct, or is there more to it with these old 6.2’s?

FreightTrain

Banned
Test light.The light comes on good,light not on,bad.One Bad plug will throw the whole setup off.As they heat the resistance changes and the controler senses it and goes into After Burn mode(atleast on a ford which is basically the same system) where it keeps the hot plugs hot without over heating by cycling on and off.

FreightTrain

Banned
When you turn the key when cold(don't start),watch the volt meter.It should be REAL low and then after several seconds jump up.If it is showing full power then the GPs ain't being warmed and can be bad plugs,bad connection,Bad ground on the controller,bad controller.Check the GPS first,then check all connections and grounds.

superburban

1) Check to make sure that the fuel cut off solenoid on top of the injector pump is working. A quick and dirty test is to turn the key to the KOEO position, then pull the pink wire on top of the injector pump. You should hear a click when you connect and disconnect it.

2) Check that you are getting fuel. Open the top vent nut (plastic disc with an "X" molded onto it) on the fuel filter. Crank the engine over. If you see fuel spurting out of the vent, the fuel pump is working fine. If you do not see fuel coming out, you may have to crank for a little longer, you have an air leak somewhere further upstream on the fuel line, or your fuel pump is shot.

3) Check to make sure the IP is pushing fuel to the injectors. Find the most easily accesible injector, whichever one is convienient. Loosen the injector line to the top of the convienient injector. Crank the engine for 4-5 seconds. You should see fuel weeping out of the line. If you see no fuel, your injector pump is shot.

PS: Dont do step 3 before step 2, or the test conclusions could be faulty.

superburban

Oh, yeah, if it has been run out of fuel, it is a real b!7ch to re-prime. You have to open the air vent on the fuel filter, then crank until you get fuel spurting out, then close it up. Next, you need to "crack" as many of the injector lines as you can reach and crank until you get fuel weeping out at the injectors. It takes a lot of cranking. You may have to re-charge your batteries at least once.

Lonesome715

I have ran my Stroke our of fuel before. That was not fun. It seems like these older non electronic deisels are worse when it comes to that.

dependable

The Chevy 6.2 is a low compression diesel that needs glow plug to start when engine is cold. regardless of air temp. If fuel delivery is ok, try to take out one glow plug. Take care not to break glowplug if heavely carboned, twist it out slowly. if it breaks, you should be able to retrieve glow plug tip with magnet from preignition chamber. Ground body of plug to engine, if tip dose not get hot when ignition is just turned on, you may have bad glow plug controller or some burnt out plugs, There are some postings under cucv glow plugs that may help.

Lonesome715

Thanks. That is going to be a big help.

If I do have to replace the plugs and controler, is there a upgrade that I should look for or is stock replacement good enough?

Braunchitis

If you need to reprime the engine, try hooking up one of those vacuum hand pumps used to bleed brake lines to a fuel line coming off the filter. Pump until you get diesel. Then hook everything back up, and you may have to then bleed the lines as described above.

I did this when I replaced my lift pump. It saves your batteries and your starter.

dependable

R E glow plug control replacement; In my opinion, replacing the controller is a waste of money as the manual ground jump to control soleniod is easy and works well.. But if you have multiple users or want things very original it may be worth it. You can test plugs out of vehicle on a battery charger( low amp). Black to body of plug and red to connector tab. Glow plugs should be replaced in sets. If some are dead, the rest are sure to follow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks