• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 with turbo swap

tjmitch3

I know these motors have alot of interchangeable parts and I already found a great thread for a swap parts list. My question is, is it worth swapping 6.5 heads too? I found new, redesigned 6.5 heads for 400 a piece. Seems like a good investment. Obviously cracking areas were beefed up but do they flow much better? Will they kill gas milage? I'm going to keep the mechanical lift pump. And what's a good price for an f code intake and gm8 turbo? (With all the other odds and ends of course)

richingalveston

just clarrifying what your are asking.
you are adding a turbo to the 6.2 and want to know if you should change the heads on your 6.2 to upgraded 6.5 heads

or are you looking to swap your turbo 6.2 with a turbo 6.5

I would think 6.5 heads on a 6.2 turbo would give you way to much fuel and your engine would probably not last long under the additonal power. I have read a lot of 6.2 turbo threads and this is the first I have heard of trying to use 6.5 heads.

subscribed to find out more

Rich

tjmitch3

I am talking about keeping the 6.2 bottom end. It's a non turbo motor. I believe it has a higher compression. And the motor will only get as much fuel as the Injection Pump puts out. But the heads supposedly flow better. And I know that the 6.2 and 6.5 heads are prone to cracking. I'm going to pull them for head studs and gaskets anyway. Is it worth the extra 800 bucks to upgrade?

reloader64

I think the difference in compression ratio is negligible. Maybe 1 point lower in the later model 6.5s. The flow rate is not going to be much of a factor either, as the turbocharger is forcing air into the engine. I would probably keep the original heads, unless they're cracked, or unless you want to know that you have brand new heads.

Scott

tjmitch3

I've done a ton of ready and head gaskets and cracks heads seem to be a common problem. I don't want to get 10k miles out of it and end up with cracked heads. I'm going to be running a stock gm8 so nothing more than 8 to 12 lbs. Just looking to build a reliable work horse.