• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo Questions

LT67

I'm looking at a 6.5 turbo to stuff into my 86 M1008 and I have a few questions. The engine needs a new #8 piston which is an easy fix. The present piston has a tiny hole in it. This was a heat related issue on the #8 cylinder which the 6.5 turbo was known for.

How do I fix the coolant flow issue to where the #8 cylinder is? I've read that the factory single inlet water pump needs to be replaced with a dual inlet pump from a 97-2000 6.5 turbo. Anything else?

Is the factory electronic injection good when the control module is relocatedfrom underneath the intake manifold? Or is it better to go with a mechanical pump?

Is converting the vacuum assisted wastegate to an adjustable mechanical unit better or worse?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ECM for the 6.5 which processes all the inputs from throttle position, crank position, etc and controls the troublesome Stanadyne injection pump is not exactly something that could be easily plucked out of a CK pickup/van. I would go with the mechanical injection pump. A spring wastegate control is available aftermarket.

nyoffroad

The ECM for the 6.5 which processes all the inputs from throttle position, crank position, etc and controls the troublesome Stanadyne injection pump is not exactly something that could be easily plucked out of a CK pickup/van. I would go with the mechanical injection pump. A spring wastegate control is available aftermarket.
Yeah KISS= Keep It Simple Silly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks