• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L Block Heater?

sawgunner1

I am about to get my rad rebuilt and thought it might be a good time to install a block heater.

I have a M1009 with a new 6.5L engine.

First, has anyone done this to their 6.2L or 6.5L engine and did it help or hurt?

Second, do I really need one since I live in the South?

Third, since they are so inexpensive, why shouldn't I install one?

Lastly, does anyone know the best way to go about this and which particular ones do you all suggest?

Thanks!

Westech

CPL
if you do use one get the freeze plug type. it goes on the driver side of the engine. There about 35 bucks from NAPA and work great. My last 09 i did not install a heater and I never had a problem.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGUPYQrOqM[/media]

sawgunner1

if you do use one get the freeze plug type. it goes on the driver side of the engine. There about 35 bucks from NAPA and work great. My last 09 i did not install a heater and I never had a problem.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGUPYQrOqM[/media]
Thanks Westech.

I had to replace my totally rotted out radiator so, I decided to get the GM block heater too. It was $40 and the new rad was $300 installed. A little high, but my work hours, a kitchen remodel end the holidays fast approaching caused a time problem.

So far the guys a City Diesel have been cooperative. I gave them a CD of the TM's and they acted like it was a Christmas present! They seem to be fairly knowledgable so I'll let them get dirty and I'll loose sleep at work.

sawgunner1

Going Green

I just dropped a new 6.5 into my 1009 and installed the freeze plug type of heater its very easy.
It was 14 degrees here in Knoxville last night. Even though we don't have a huge ammount of sub 20's temperatures, it would sure be nice to fire up a pre-warmed engine. Luckily, my workplace has a bunch of outlets to plug into. They have several dozen electric vehicles in service so, one more "green" vehicle shouldn't matter. :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks