• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beyond Biodiesel

I really appreciate this forum, because I can search it for whatever restoration project I am involved with on my M756A2. My truck came with no windshield wipers at all, and only one wiper nut, which was not useful. So, I ordered a set of new wiper arms and blades. I have found installation notes very useful, so here are mine.

When I went to install my new arms and blades right away one of the 2 brass nuts that hold the wiper arm stripped out. So, I ordered another nut, and got my magnifiers to see what was going on. I found the threads on both wiper arm shafts were completely buggered, so I took a wire wheel to both shafts, which happened to have layers of paint in them, and I dressed the threads on both shafts the best I could with a small triangular file. I then ran a 10-32 NF die over both threads. I did it by hand because I did not want to run the risk of damaging what little thread was left. I then rotated the shafts fully counter clockwise with pliers against the wiper shaft below the splines

I then tried to push the wiper arms on fully clockwise at the top of the window. I found the wiper arms would not just slide onto the splines that were already there on the shafts. I suspect that those splines are the product of press-fitting the wiper arms onto the shafts from previous installs. So, I rotated the new wiper arms until I could feel the splines mesh, then I pounded the wiper arm splines into place with a 1/8" short nipple, which fit around the shaft and seated well against the spline collar on the wiper arm. Then I screwed the new brass nuts into place with a 3/8" nut driver, torquing by feel, to avoid stripping them out. So far they work fine, and it only took me about a week to get the job done ;-)

If anyone has a better idea about installing new wiper arms on one of these old trucks, then I would like to hear it.

I am finding that working on a 45 year old surplus military vehicle is what retired people do before they are too old to sweat bullets on an old truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks