• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

91W350

Today we fired up the old M1009 and headed out for the boys daily run. I decided to go east of town into the hills and take a couple of photos of a nearby landmark. The road we are on is the hill between the hills. The big dome is known locally as the Iron Mound.

The Iron Mound is visible for miles around Salina. We sit in both the Saline and Smoky Hill River basins. The Saline dumps into the Smoky just east of Salina and about that far further east, the Solomon River dumps into the Smoky as well. Someplace between Solomon and Junction City, where the mighty Republican River joins, the Smoky gets renamed as the Kansas River. Junction City got its name from the junction of the Kansas and Republican rivers.

History and Geography lessons teach us that the Kansas becomes the Kansas at the confluence of the Republican, but it does not show up on our maps or gps units that way very reliably. Somewhere between Lawrence and Kansas City, the Kansas River becomes known as the Kaw River. Anyway... we did not get out of Saline County so that is wasted history. We are the Tri-Rivers County though, Tri-Rivers Fair etc... it keeps popping up.

The hills you see in the photos in the distance would be the ridge between the Smoky and Republican Rivers. Off to the west, the Smoky winds generally south of Interstate 70 and the Saline winds its way east north of Interstate 70. What does all that do for us? We have very fertile basin to farm and farming brought us huge wheat crops. The wheat brought us elevators in the late 1800s and that is primarily what our city's growth started from.

During WWII they developed the Smoky Hill Bombing Range just west of that basin and the Smoky Hill Air Force Base in the flat of that basin. Salina boomed, then Interstates 70 and 135, originally 35W, came through and the trucking industry boomed here. When the base closed, everybody thought it was curtains for us, but we survived and have been enjoying a pretty steady growth since the mid 1060s.

We may not have much terrain here in the city, but go 15 miles or less in any direction, except south, and you are in those beautiful Smoky Hills. Going south the highway follows the Smoky River Basin then crosses over into the Arkansas River Basin. It is pretty uneventful between Salina and Wichita....

Anyway... the boys and I went out for our evening stroll in the hills and I snapped some photos. The road is pretty nasty in spots and we did have some recent rainfall, but it has been dry enough that the road was not bad.

I walked along, enjoying the frogs, hawks, just generally the sounds of nature in the evening. Then it dawned on me.... I was short a dog. He was out in the pasture approaching the cattle. He is bad about chasing anything that will run, but they were not running. I called and he came, I wished I had taken a photo when he was really close to them and they were starting to circle, but I was more concerned with getting him out.

I had to snap a couple of the boys in the driveway, they looked like they were ready to leave without me. Sure was a pretty day.... those hills.... Kansas is so flat you know.....

Oh yeah, I got caught in traffic and almost missed the sixes... It will be a few before they come back. Glen

Attachments

crasheej

I know how those roads can get when it rained there but then that is the best time to get your truck broke in. I do hate the clean up though. But oh the fun you have at the time. Ready to go the next time. While station at McConnell AFB I had to do an accident investigation at Smoky Hill Range. Man was it a muddy deal. Bad weather was the cause of the accident. Fun was had by all at the time though. I've tried to tell people that there are a lot to see in Kansas if they will just get out and look. You do have to get off the interstate to do it though.

91W350

I had my M715 on top of Soldier's Cap, it was muddy, slick and I felt sorry for the young man who got assigned to ride with me. He was pretty nervous when we hit the top. 8^) He made a comment about how good it climbed, then I told him if I knew the road was going to be that slick, I would have used four wheel drive, I just did not want to get out and lock in the hubs halfway up. It is really pretty out there at the range. My step grandfather's family lost a lot of land to the range and he never forgave the government. Glen

Attachments

91W350

Sounds like a deal, I know of a road west of here that needs something special to break it down a little. Not sure who would pull you out though if you got hung up!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Glen, always enjoy your reading about your day trips. Last time I was out there I had a small aircraft I had never seen before go over me several times, when it banked I noticed there was no canopy! Turns out that area is one of the few places of US airspace where UAV'S are flow and tested.

OL AG '89

Great Pics!!!
I haven't done the breakin trip yet, that looks like a great place to test it out.
I also like the paint job. I think that's the next thing I do as long as she stays mchanically sound.
I need to just find a dirt patch somewhere around here and let her run.:beer:

91W350

MWMules, you have some great country just south of you, most people have no idea what kind of history and treasures east central and southeast Kansas have to offer.

Ol' Ag, that is the original paint on that one. It could use new rockers and a tail gate skin. I am inclined to just run her until she croaks and save the good stuff. It is nice to have a vehicle that is just meant to be used. If you get up this way, I would be glad to run you around the area, share a few historical spots. If you really want to test her out, we will talk my brother into going to the ORV park with us.

91W350

MWMules, you have some great country just south of you, most people have no idea what kind of history and treasures east central and southeast Kansas have to offer.

Ol' Ag, that is the original paint on that one. It could use new rockers and a tail gate skin. I am inclined to just run her until she croaks and save the good stuff. It is nice to have a vehicle that is just meant to be used. If you get up this way, I would be glad to run you around the area, share a few historical spots. If you really want to test her out, we will talk my brother into going to the ORV park with us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks