• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6707 antenna base

pinwormfood

hey guys, i picked up a 6707 tunable whip base and whip and I wanted to know what wire will i need to connect it to my civy cb radio. it's a standard cobra classic model. also, when hooking up that base, do i need to ground it? and what other wires will i need to connect to the base? sorry, but I just can't seem to find the info doing searches.

secondly, an electrical question. I have the 2 bus bars behind my passenger seat wall. the top is 24 volt hot and I am told the bottom is a ground bus. is that correct? and if i run the top bar to the front battery instead of the standard 24volt connection point, that will give me 12 volt to run my cb, correct? and can I just hook up the cb ground to the lower bus bar? just checking. this stuff is all greek to me. thanks, pinworm

mistaken1

Connect the BnC connector on the antenna base to your radio's SO-239 rf port using 50 OHM coaxial cable. You can ignore the multi-pin connector.

Ground the antenna base using a braided ground from the ground lug on the base to one of the mounting bolts on the mounting bracket. Use star washers at every location to make a good ground.

You need to tune the antenna to work in the CB frequency range or you will most likely burn out your finals. You could use an antenna tuner in between the cb and antenna instead of tuning the MX-6707.

Remove the 24V+ wire from the bus on the firewall and move it to either the front battery positive or back battery negative to get 12V+ at the top radio bus.

The lower bus should be the ground bus, I highly recommend you verify all voltages with a multimeter before connecting anything.

Fuse the leads to the cb radio and since you will most likely need more cable to extend the original 24V+ to the batteries put a 60A fuse at the splice point.

You tune a fixed wire cb antenna by cutting it to the proper length to make it resonant with the frequencies you want to transmit on. A non-resonant (un-tuned) antenna will reflect radio energy back into your radio, if the energy is high enough it will damage the radio.

How to Tune a CB Radio Antenna

You can tune your MX-6707 antenna base to make it and the standard military whip resonant at cb frequencies without cutting it. By setting the antenna base to the lowest marked frequency and then adjusting the correct variable capacitor you can make the antenna and MX-6707 tuning circuitry combined resonate at the cb frequencies.

Military Antenna Conversion for CB

AS-1729 Antenna

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks