• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6CTA compound turbo?

290smallcam

A thought. Since the 8.3 is the big brother of the 5.9 12 valve, wonder if this is possible. People have added a HT3B-26 turbo to the stock HX35 on there 12 valve cummins and love it. They say it makes a great DD and towing rig. A few videos on YouTube and other forums. So why wouldn't a HT3B-30 work on the 6CTA? Maybe even the HT3B-26 would even work.

290smallcam

Searched high and low all day. Can't seem to find anything on cummins 6CTA compounds. Found photos of compounds on DT466 for sled pullers, but they don't even state what size they are using. Also couldn't find larger injectors or stronger valve springs. What a shame. I think the 8.3 could be so much more!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Join the Facebook M939 page and search turbos in it, someone has built a kit they sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

290smallcam

Would adding a T46 or even a HT60 off a N14 to my truck hurt it if I made a compound set up with it, by adding it to the HT3B? Fuel is turned up soooo. I think it would just spool faster and lower what's as long as I regulated the psi.

Lukes_deuce

Would adding a T46 or even a HT60 off a N14 to my truck hurt it if I made a compound set up with it, by adding it to the HT3B? Fuel is turned up soooo. I think it would just spool faster and lower what's as long as I regulated the psi.
The guy with the compound set up has 62/71/14 over a S475. If it were me, I would do an S363 over a S472. The 8.3 needs the right sized turbos, more on the smaller side to have a good power band. I dont know the specs of a T46 but I know a HT60 is too large even for a secondary.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been discussed somewhat in this thread as well.IMG_1936.png
Sorry, can’t figure out how to create a link on my phone.

Heavier exhaust springs are available for running a Pacbrake. Also, marine applications, as well as some farm equipment, run much higher rpm, so they may be a source for heavier springs as well.

Crf450x

There is a guy on Facebook that did it. You can put compounds on anything and it has probably been done thousands of times on 8.3s. You just need to do a little reading and understand the principles of operation. I’d guess the biggest challenge will be packaging under the m939 hood.

Unless you just want it for the novelty/sound, my hold up would be this…if you just add compounds with stock fuel, you wont gain anything. Actually you’ll likely lose a little power because of increased drive pressure. So to be worth the effort you’ll want significantly more fuel than stock. And at that point you’ll need to start thinking about what the transmission/transfer case will hold up to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks