• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 V-Link Boots

B-Dog

The boots on my V-links were all cracked and various stages of disintegration. I couldn't find replacement boots, only entire V-link replacements with boots of unknown condition. I contacted a couple companies about custom boots and the replies were none or too expensive. So, I made my own; approximate cost $120 + 8 hours labor. Here's a picture of the best one, I guess I didn't get a picture of the worst but imagine the boot being completely gone save for a clamp holding a ring of rubber around the outside.

1608824993525.png

Parts all sourced from McMaster:
Rubber cap for 3 1/2" OD PN 6448K115 $5.25/ea. 10 required if you replace the top covers where the V mounts to the axles - [lets call that the 'base' from here on out]
Rubber cap for 4" OD PN 6448K116 $6.40/ea. 2 required if you replace the bottom covers on the base
Pinch clamps for 3 1/2"-3 5/8" PN 52545K112 $6.22 pkg of 10. You'll need 12 clamps if you replace the top and bottom covers on the base

The rubber caps are too tall. I separated the dome and cylinder portion of the cap. A home depot HDX mixing cup worked great for this by sliding the cap over the cup and cutting along the line left from the molding process. Then using a short piece of 1 1/4" OD steel tube as a pattern, I cut a hole in the center of the dome. Filled the joint with grease and attached the dome to the joint with the pinch clamp. I allowed the dome to slide down the shaft to the smaller section and then bubble outward as pictured below. Alternatively, you could use clamps on the shaft as well (MMC PN 54285K55) but I didn't.

1608825838386.png
1608825869568.png

the caps on the top of the base are the same but without the hole in the middle of the dome. I don't think there even needs to be a cap there, it appeared to me that the joint was sealed on the top. I think you might even be able to drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk (sorry, I didn't get any pictures of what was under the cap). But alas, thinking it was silly, I packed it full of grease and put a new cap on anyway.

1608826213723.png

The bottom boots are far less elegant because I couldn't get the nut removed. I didn't have the massive tank mounted vise to hold the base and remove the nut. Even if I was able to remove the nut, I wasn't sure if the base would come off the shaft so I did the best I could and it's certainly better than the old rotted boots.
I did the same process as above but using the larger boots. I cut a 1 3/4" hole in the center of the dome and slit the dome so that it could be wrapped around the joint. The boot overlaps about 1" with some stretching and I used CA glue to hold it in place. I had to trim some of the overlapped rubber to get the clamp on. You'll need to make sure the clamp splits but the PN's listed above are that style.
1608826578660.png
1608826651868.png

Cheers,

ramdough

The boots on my V-links were all cracked and various stages of disintegration. I couldn't find replacement boots, only entire V-link replacements with boots of unknown condition. I contacted a couple companies about custom boots and the replies were none or too expensive. So, I made my own; approximate cost $120 + 8 hours labor. Here's a picture of the best one, I guess I didn't get a picture of the worst but imagine the boot being completely gone save for a clamp holding a ring of rubber around the outside.

View attachment 821654

Parts all sourced from McMaster:
Rubber cap for 3 1/2" OD PN 6448K115 $5.25/ea. 10 required if you replace the top covers where the V mounts to the axles - [lets call that the 'base' from here on out]
Rubber cap for 4" OD PN 6448K116 $6.40/ea. 2 required if you replace the bottom covers on the base
Pinch clamps for 3 1/2"-3 5/8" PN 52545K112 $6.22 pkg of 10. You'll need 12 clamps if you replace the top and bottom covers on the base

The rubber caps are too tall. I separated the dome and cylinder portion of the cap. A home depot HDX mixing cup worked great for this by sliding the cap over the cup and cutting along the line left from the molding process. Then using a short piece of 1 1/4" OD steel tube as a pattern, I cut a hole in the center of the dome. Filled the joint with grease and attached the dome to the joint with the pinch clamp. I allowed the dome to slide down the shaft to the smaller section and then bubble outward as pictured below. Alternatively, you could use clamps on the shaft as well (MMC PN 54285K55) but I didn't.

View attachment 821655
View attachment 821656

the caps on the top of the base are the same but without the hole in the middle of the dome. I don't think there even needs to be a cap there, it appeared to me that the joint was sealed on the top. I think you might even be able to drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk (sorry, I didn't get any pictures of what was under the cap). But alas, thinking it was silly, I packed it full of grease and put a new cap on anyway.

View attachment 821657

The bottom boots are far less elegant because I couldn't get the nut removed. I didn't have the massive tank mounted vise to hold the base and remove the nut. Even if I was able to remove the nut, I wasn't sure if the base would come off the shaft so I did the best I could and it's certainly better than the old rotted boots.
I did the same process as above but using the larger boots. I cut a 1 3/4" hole in the center of the dome and slit the dome so that it could be wrapped around the joint. The boot overlaps about 1" with some stretching and I used CA glue to hold it in place. I had to trim some of the overlapped rubber to get the clamp on. You'll need to make sure the clamp splits but the PN's listed above are that style.
View attachment 821658
View attachment 821659

Cheers,
Do you have any pictures of the top rubber piece on the “base”?

I accidentally blew mine out today.

but it looks like all of mine are bad.

Thanks for sharing your work with part numbers!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Neat work. What is the banding system you used to put on the clamp rings? Maybe usable to install cab suspension bags?
like minds lol but do not think they will work well. They do not have much clamping force.

IMHO "preformed" band clamps would be better.

Thats as far as Ive gotten on this ..... was stalling till and idea finally hit me about the donut rubber that typically needs replacing and a something for a shock replacement.

Last edited:

RRaulston

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is what I am looking at but this model.

ABN Hollow Punch Kit Leather Punches Tools Hole Punch Set Gasket Punch Set Gasket Cutter 3/16 to 1-3/8in (5-35mm) https://a.co/d/7AmKrX7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ABN looks similar to my MAC Tools kit from 40 years ago.
Except that we were smart enough not to hit our hands with the version from back then. :)

Gasket Cutter by ABN.jpg Gasket Cutter MAC Tools (Mine).jpg

coachgeo

ramdough

couple solutions discussed in this thread.... shoo goo, making them and purchasing new ones...... what are you showing us here? appears to be new ones from mtpdrivetrain..... or did you make this as Bdog did?
Here ya go. Holler if you have any other questions.

View attachment 829893
This is what B-dog did. His method was way cheaper and easy enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRaulston

I found the boot kit. They have a lot in stock and the price seems quite reasonable, but, I thought the boots were solid with no center hole or am I wrong? It even has the tool to crimp/tighten the retaining wire..

Partskitwtool08I3E 5596(6).JPGPartskitwtool08I3E 5596(7).JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks