• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7-ton MTVR steering gear box leaking

CM1RETIRED

So I just about had everything wrapped up on the truck and the gear box sprung a leak. Would you guys know why? Its not leaking from the seals. There is what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom of the gearbox. It comes out pretty fast when turning the wheel. I just want to be sure its not over pressure or something... I dont want to ruin a brand-new gear box. Anyway let me hear your thoughts. Picture shows the hole the oil leaks from. There is a rubber grommet here on my parts truck.
Always rebuild both boxes if only one leaks. We have a transmission jack with some 4x4's that will drop the tray down and it rolls out from under truck. When you remove Pittman arms locate timing marks some trucks have faint arrows that will disappear with a wire brush and then you'll be guessing. The rubber plug you mention goes back in after you drive seal back in. I work for the Seabees as federal employee and have done a few of these and there are plenty leaking all over the shops from old, degraded seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks