• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 - NP208 no shift!

Due to a "clunk" noise when slowing down, after a stuck truck miss-hap, I dropped my t-case and swapped input shafts into the original case from the T-400 transmission, then installed the "new" case. Also changed the transmission filter and fluid. Installed a flexible fill tube and put a temp sensor bung on the back of the pan. Now it does not shift, at all. It will not move and does not act as if it even tried. The only symptom other than that is a grinding noise when going back into park. It definitely has fluid. I checked the t-case function before I installed it. All the shifters are connected.

Last edited:

cliffyp

Might be long shot, but since you changed your trans filter, did the proper replacement go in? If you have a deep pan and the filter isn't deep enough, your pump could be sucking air.

I'm with everyone else though, transfer case seems like the source of the problem.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just saw this thread and was going to suggest checking the shaft again. When the transmission grinds going back into park, it is the transmission "free wheeling" with no resistance on the output.

wayne pick

Well, at least you'll know if you broke something in the trans. I boubt it though. When I had the 205 in my truck, I know if the TC was in neutral, the trans would grind going back into park. I would have to remember not to do that. yours was basically doing the same thing with the shaft free wheeling. I agree with Speddmon, no resistance.