• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Transmission question

rsh4364

A buddy of mine has a 7004r trans laying on his garage floor,its mated to a 2.8 v-6 out of a 86 S-10 2wd.Should I pick-up cheap?I would like to install in a 1009 and regear to 373s.What all would be involved with this swap? Not counting the regear.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The v6 versions are not as good as the v8 versions. You really need a C/K version

Jeepsinker

The 2.8 v-6 has a different bell housing entirely and will not work. Don't waste your time.
Edit: if you can find one that went behind a 4.3 liter v-6 it will have the proper bell housing.

Last edited:

Chaski

There are a lot of swap threads. It may be easiest to find a junk diesel K5 or similar with a 700r4 to get some of the harder to find parts (the TV cable bracket and linkage). Once you get the correct diesel TV cable bracket the rest is easy to find. I have a 700r4 in my rig, it is night and day difference on the freeway compared to my buddies M1008. That 700r4 you are looking at isn't worth messing with. You want one of the later "K" embossed cases. Best thing would be to find one 87 or newer to get the better guts. I built up my own 700r4, it wasn't easy, but I'd do it again. That being said, if you think you will build up your own get any cheap or free 700r4 / 4L60 / 4L60e you can find as you will need them to mix and match the best hard parts. I got a 4l60e to use, I gave away the case and valve body to use the rest in my "K" case. Buy the ATSG books on the 700r4 / 4l60 / 4l60e. They have a great book on upgrades and swaps that helps identify internal parts if you decide to build one yourself.

Westech

CPL
What is the major difference are the governor springs (shift points)
The 3/4 ton and diesel 700's have a lock up in 2ed gear. The 1/2 ton 700 does not lock up until 3rd gear.
Its not a big deal its just a towing split shift kinda thing.
The 700 will NOT bolt up to the factory T case in the CUCV's. You will have to get a 1/2 ton (found behind 700's and TH350's)

Last edited:

Chaski

The valve bodies are not different. 700R4's do have different governors in the diesel versions, but they can be had new for $50 ish. Plus the governors have a 30 year old plastic gear, so it isn't a bad idea to replace the entire governor or at least the gear. They are easy to swap, only requiring removal of a steel bale and a stamped steel cap on the side of the transmission case. As far as lockup goes, there is nothing physically different about the valve body. The transmission will lockup when the lockup solenoid is energized. The difference is how it is wired through the pressure switches on the valve body to allow lockup or not in any particular gear.

As for the transfer case.... You don't need a different case. You just have to swap out to a 27 spline input. They are in NP208's that were mated to a 700r4 or a th350. They are about $50 used or $100 new on eBay. It is cake to do compared to the transmission and only requires the input and a tube of RTV. They can be found on eBay easily or pulled out of a wrecking yard t-case. While you are at it it may not be a bad idea to freshen up the case with new seals and bearings, maybe a chain too.

Last edited: