• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'72 Blazer top?

msoumas

I am thinking about the possibility of putting the "convertible top" setup of the 1972 Blazer onto my M1009. I know my current cab would have to be cut to make this work, but would a 1972 windshield setup fit onto mine without any significant problems? Any chance the cap would fit on with no problems? This isn't a project I'll be attempting until it starts getting warm again anyway, but I have an insatiable curiosity about it and I've always loved the way the '72 looks with the top off.

OLDCHEV4X4

Since the lines of the Blazer's are so different, i dont think this would be a easy project. A soft top off of a 72 might be a easier project,....a little.

desertfox

67-72 generation trucks to include blazer are completely different than 73 up. The shape of the windshield and door glass is completely different. 67-72 door glass is flat, 73 up is curved. If you are wanting to put a top on then go with 73 up. Much less work ie. a much easier swap. In addition 73 up is much easier to locate. And the 73-76 tops were like the 67-72 trucks. They remove to the windshield.
I specialiize in 67-72 chevy trucks.

msoumas

desertfox said:
67-72 generation trucks to include blazer are completely different than 73 up. The shape of the windshield and door glass is completely different. 67-72 door glass is flat, 73 up is curved. If you are wanting to put a top on then go with 73 up. Much less work ie. a much easier swap. In addition 73 up is much easier to locate. And the 73-76 tops were like the 67-72 trucks. They remove to the windshield.
I specialiize in 67-72 chevy trucks.
So a '73 would be a more seamless donor? Do you think the existing doors would be modifiable, or would I want the doors off the donor truck? And if so, how well would they line up?

ida34

The doors on the donor truck would be the easiest but the doors hare just the regular doors with part of the window frame cut off. You would need the caps used to fill the ends on the doors. Also I am pretty sure 75 was the last year for the full top. Make sure you look for a 73-74-75 donor truck. I had a 75 several years ago. It was a beater and was really cool to tool around in.

gt1009

Could you just cut the foreward portion of the roof off of your truck then bolt a piece of metal to hold the foreward portion and rear portion together making it a full convertible?

ida34

I think it is easier to find the 73-75 top. The correct top is fiberglass all the way to the windshield. I would guess that the metal from the roof would not mate will with the 76 and later top. I would think it would crack where the roof connects to the top.

AJMBLAZER

This has been done many times over on www.ColoradoK5.com . In fact I think there's been a tech article and many write ups about it.

Most of the guys modified their existing stuff to work with a 73-75 top if my memory serves me correctly.

kurtkds

yep the 73 the 75 is what you want.

I've got a 73.. you'll have to cut the door frame just above where the glass goes into the door and up at the pillar.

Then you'll have to put some holes along the side of the bed to secure it on the back. The factory setup has 3 brackets along the top of the windshield inside the cab top secure the top along the front. There is also a channel along the top of the windshield with a gasket in it to keep the water out.

If you want I can get some pics of how the top is mounted on there.

Attachments