• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 fuel filter upgrade?

MAdams

It was raining the other day and I was home sick cruising the internet. I looked for a better spin on fuel filter for the secondary filter mounted on the engine because its only a 14 micron. I couldn't find any info so I searched the wix filter website for any close matches.

I JUST changed my stock primary canister filter so I'd rather not replace it with a spin on right now plus that still leaves a secondary 14 micron filter.

The secondary filter is a wix 33472 which is a 14 micron filter that flows 8-10 GPM 16x1.5mm thread and has a gasket size is 2.37ID and 2.74OD

The wix 33124 is a 6 micron with similar dimensions as the 33472 but it only flows 6-8 GPM. It also doesn't have a bottom water drain.

The wix site doesn't get into efficiency, delta pressure and filter capacities but it looks like this filter will fit and is a upgrade in micron filtering. Anyone tried this or any other filter?

Again, I know replacing the factory primary canister filter with a dual spin on is the best solution, but that's not an option right now.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some random thoughts and data for you -

1) not all of the A2s had the larger filter on the firewall. Many just had the small filter on the block.

2) the finer the filter, the faster it clogs.

3) the finer the filter, the faster it is effected by gelling.

4) for the 8.3 it's almost imperative to carry a spare small filter.

5) I'd be inclined to use a coarse large primary filter/water separator, and then a finer final filter. Probably no need to go finer than 10 micron for these engines.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine mounted filter that comes with the engine is fine. Any smaller micron rating and you will be changing filters constantly. IMHO, stay away from Baldwin, Wix filters. Stick with Fleetguard or Fleetrite.
You guys are thinking WAY too hard on filters. The C has used the same filter forever and I have seen no filter related failures. If it aint broke....

162tcat

The engine mounted filter that comes with the engine is fine. Any smaller micron rating and you will be changing filters constantly. IMHO, stay away from Baldwin, Wix filters. Stick with Fleetguard or Fleetrite.
You guys are thinking WAY too hard on filters. The C has used the same filter forever and I have seen no filter related failures. If it aint broke....
Out of curiosity why do you say to avoid Baldwin and Wix? Those are generally regarded as quality filters. I've run Baldwin filters on my Mack for about 600,000 miles with no filter related issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut one open, then cut open a FG filter. Wix, Baldwin have very poor media and the points the media is adhered to the ends are easily compromised if there is a restriction through the media. I have seen a fleet of busses, not 2 or 3 or 10, but a fleet of 400 fail engines due to baldwin filters. The media collapsed, tore and the engines ran with unfiltered oil. Baldwins response was, Oh well.

74M35A2

I'm anxious to remove the large canister filter on my 925a2, to remove the additional leak paths it present on the suction side of the fuel system. Much prefer the filtering to happen on the pressure side, after the lift pump.