• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 series: Exhaust stack vibration dampener

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At idle my truck's exhaust stack would vibrate to the point were the metal stack bracket and cab bracket would grind together. This would, in turn, make an annoying high pitch squeaking. The stock spring set up was not offering enough stand off.

I removed the inadequate stock springs, bolts, nuts and washers. I replaced with a neoprene Vibration-Damping Sandwich Mount. It has a 1/2" threaded stud on each side. I obtained this part from McMaster-Carr, p/n
9213K62

The only modification is to remove the L-bracket from the exhaust clamp on the stack. The original exhaust clamp ensures the stack stays secure to J-pipe. I purchased a second 4" exhaust clamp and mounted the stack L-bracket to it moving the stack bracket from below the cab bracket to above it. The dampener was then installed between the two brackets using 1/2" nuts and flat washers.

The exhaust doesn't squeak anymore.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonjc

I like that alot better than the cunk of wood I stuck in mine:roll:. I'll have to get some of those, I have some of the smaller one used for the headlight panles. I need to get the truck in the shop to find/fix a fuel leak around the IP and do some other TLC/PMCS. I will have to add this mod to the list.

Thanks for the tip and the #'s[thumbzup]

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you know the diameter of the rubber stand off?
I ordered it from McMaster-Carr. Here is the nomenclature, dimensions and part number:

Neoprene Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, 1/2"-13 Thread, 1-1/2" H, 3-1/8" W, p/n 9213K62

Catalog page:
McMaster-Carr

It should be noted that the neoprene version withstands temperatures of 180
[FONT=&quot]°F.[/FONT]

Jersey4x4

I ordered it from McMaster-Carr. Here is the nomenclature, dimensions and part number:

Neoprene Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, 1/2"-13 Thread, 1-1/2" H, 3-1/8" W, p/n 9213K62

Catalog page:
McMaster-Carr

It should be noted that the neoprene version withstands temperatures of 180
[FONT=&quot]°F.[/FONT]
Can you edit the original post. I looked for the part number you listed there but it did not exist. You had 9376K68 and it did not exist, which is why I asked. It is a great idea. I am ordering it today so i can get rid of the squeak and rattle of the exhaust. Thanks

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you edit the original post. I looked for the part number you listed there but it did not exist. You had 9376K68 and it did not exist, which is why I asked. It is a great idea. I am ordering it today so i can get rid of the squeak and rattle of the exhaust. Thanks

Copy and done[thumbzup] Thanks for the heads up with the error in the original post. I must have "fat-fingered" the keyboard:doh::cookoo:...I guess I should stick with copy and paste. Glad to be of service. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jersey4x4

I ordered the spacer from Carr and I will be doing the mod tomorrow. Glad to know someone else had the same issue and we were thinking on the same page. Thanks

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The day I picked up the truck I cranked over the engine and there was the terrible squeak. I thought it was a loose belt at first. After a quick troubleshoot, I nailed it down to the exhaust bracket. However, I toyed with different ideas for quite a while on a cure 'til I found this one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks