• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 series front drive

tobyS

I don't know why I can't find it in the TM...but where is a simple explanation of how the front axle engages and when it engages on M817. I have searched several times and am still confused at how and when the Sprag system works.

Out in heavy snow, it did not seem to engage. Is starting in second a problem? Is it engaged in high range? Will I feel some slip in the rear before it engages (I think 7%)?

I have not found a section in the TM that guides me through normal operation to know if it is operator error or a mechanical problem.

F18hornetM

I have run mine in the snow and through a ditch. Both times the front wheels pulled. I even tested on ice just to see. The front axle sprag should lock in any time the rear wheels slip, in any gear. There is a test in here somewhere about jacking up a front wheel and it should only turn one way freely. Maybe yours has an issue, stuck, no air pressure to it etc. I am sure there is a TM on diagnosing it.

KsM715

First of all. Get in your truck, start it up and build air. Once you've done that. Clutch in and shift back and forth from first to reverse. See if you here an air release every time you shift from one to the other. If not the valve may be gummed up or frozen.

5tonman1971

When you shift in to reverse you should hear air being released if you do it should activating the sprag gear. Sometimes I have to shift in to reverse after the tires start to slip and then in to first and that normally locks mine in on my m813a1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks