• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

814 comes home

Lorax

A fellow in the local MVPA club said "start small".

Great advice. So I started my MV collection with a deuce. Maybe not what he meant... That deuce is a great truck, but after a while it got small. How to solve this problem? Buy another deuce of course! Problem solved, for a while at least.

Fast forward about 1/2 a year. So there I am watching the GL auctions. "Boy those 5 tons sure look good". But, the deuces were doing their job, and a 5 ton wasn't needed, so I bought an 818... Made sense at the time, and still does.

The 818 has been trouble free (mostly) and fun. I sold one of the deuces to reduce operating expenses, and put a bed on the 818. The 818 is now sort of an M813B Mark III. Extended the 818's frame, and put a dropside bed on it.

Fast forward to 2 or 3 weeks ago. "Boy those 814s look good". The little angel on my shoulder has since packed up and left for greener pastures. The little devil on my other shoulder keeps saying "yeah, buy two of 'em". So I come across a post here on SS from BKubu saying he has a couple 814s for sale. PMing (is that a word now?) with BKubu back and forth for a week or two eventually leads to the purchase of one of his 814s. Quite a nice truck it is too. According to CARNAC, it was overhauled in the late 80s and prepped for shipment to the middle east, but never went. Instead, in the early 90s it went back to 3 color camo CARC and went in storage. It still has the little red plastic zerk caps. The six hour drive home from Kubu's was a pleasure (except for I95 around DC). Thanks Bruce for the great truck. Here are some pictures of the 814, deuce, 813B, ol faithful Toyota, and one of my bubble brained Goldens.

Gonna finish assembling the troop seats and install the cargo cover for a MV show in a couple weeks.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you put the fluds back in before you drove it? I figured you had put the fluids back but what about those fluds? Where do they go?:wink:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, glad you liked the truck. The deal was great from my end as you were a pleasure to deal with! I am happy to say that I've made another friend. I hated to see the truck leave, but I needed the money for my HEMTT and M936A2 projects. I can't wait to see pics of the truck with the NOS 3 color vinyl extended height cargo cover!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a customer and friend of Bruce, you won't be disappointed with anything you get from him.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wow, it's clean. Like squeaky clean. Congrats!

Lorax

Yeah, the tires are great. Funny story about going to the DMV to register the 814. Handed over all the paperwork to the DMV clerk. Past experience with registering MVs has shown that it's a crap shoot at the DMV as to whether they'll make problems. Bruce supplied everything the Va DMV needed tho, so no problems. Anyhoo, the clerk asked the usual "does it really weigh that much" type questions. I answered, but offered no extra info. After getting the new title, tags, etc, and turning to leave, the clerk yelled to me "good luck with your mystery truck"...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks