• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 hyd oil flow control regulator

martinsaunders06

can anyone please clarify this. On my 816 there is hyd pipe fitted between the operating valve block and the boom ram extension connection.In this pipe is a"oil flow regulator"(as the tm describes it).i think mine is fitted the wrong way round coz the arrow on it is pointing towards the valve block?? does anyone know if it should point towards ram and what is the consequences of having it wrong way round and presumably it restricts the oil flow one way=but for what reason.can try to get pic at weekend if ness
thanks

martinsaunders06

yeah had to take this valve/hyd pipe out due to it leaking.the valve has a hairline crack down it so the more you tighten the pipes the more it leaks.am having a new one machined out-very expensive but cant get one here in uk.?does the arrow on regulator face away fron valve block and towards ram? coz mine was opposite so oil pressure from valve block had no effect on spring in regulator as it was facing return oil flow.This regulator has a 40mm hexagon fitting on one end=can anyone tell me which way this faces in the pipe ie ram or valve block?= this answer my query?
thanks martin

martinsaunders06

thanks dave for reply,hopefully someone will tell me as i hope to refit it saturday.to have a new regulator machined out of a block of ally was 260 english pounds= ouch!with diesel here in uk at 5.30 pound a gallon(thats prob $10 plus) trucking as a hobby aint cheap but it is good tho.hope some of the wrecker boys can answer this.if not i will have to take a guess
thanks

Gamagoat1

Hydraulic Regulator

Martin,
I found reference to the hydraulic regulator in OP-CR53 for the Austin-Western crane.(M108) This is dated 1953 but explaines the use. They called them restrictor valves then but are used to limit the rate of load drop should a hose break or valve stick open. They, then, located them on the boom cylinders and the boom winch hyd. system.
My M816 ,as well as a parts M543 I use, has one on the boom crowd cylinder only.
So, after having said all of this, I know little more of why it's there.
I know it's been a while but I hope this helps.

Attachments

joec

Re: Hydraulic Regulator

Gamagoat1 said:
Martin,
I found reference to the hydraulic regulator in OP-CR53 for the Austin-Western crane.(M108) This is dated 1953 but explaines the use. They called them restrictor valves then but are used to limit the rate of load drop should a hose break or valve stick open. They, then, located them on the boom cylinders and the boom winch hyd. system.
My M816 ,as well as a parts M543 I use, has one on the boom crowd cylinder only.
So, after having said all of this, I know little more of why it's there.
I know it's been a while but I hope this helps.

:ditto:

madsam

OK, I am wrong.. :oops:

I kooked and I do have that. I thought it was part of the hose. It is nice to know it has that if a hose brakes.

Gamagoat1

If it works!
My next adventure is to clean out the hydraulic filter. I think I'll empty the tank first. The TM says it's not necessary but .....................