• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 pics "defrosting"

cruz

I was trying to defrost the 818 in my shop and decided to take some pics, also I got to use it today as I got my f-250 stuck in a snow drift, the 818 pulled it out, but I was surprised how little traction the 818 has, I had to get a running start to yank the truck out, I thought I would be able to just crawl and pull the truck out; but the 818 just spun its wheels

Attachments

maritimer

the weight isnt as evenly distributed on the 818 style trucks with some weight over the rear end it would have crawled out with the p/u no problem

Sephirothq

I also found out that my M818 has very little traction in the snow and ice. The truck wanted to go sideways.

I think the M35A2 has better traction then the M818

MilitaryRestoration

you guys and your 818 traction problems... hehe you gotta remember the vehicle is meant to have 36000+ lbs on the rear axles alone... just running around 'bob-tail' is dangerous in a civilian truck with radial street tires, let alone a oversized tractor trailer military version that was really built for off-road, with adequate weight, and has ndt tires ( no dang traction) as gimpy says... Remember this when trying to stop an 818 as well, when bob-tailing. Or like my father and I like to call it dead dispatcher :) (no load = well... a dead dispatcher)

The deuce does better because not so motor heavy therefore less weight off of the drivers and balanced better. Plus it has a bed that gives a little weight to drivers as to the 818's fifth wheel which doesn't amount to nothing vs 5ton size

just my 2cents....

vinny-socom1

I agree NDCC do not do much, I think Kenny said he got stuck on a speed bump in a parking lot when it was raining!! Thats why I've got the 16.00x20's on mine...smopth sailing!!! I run about 35psi in the rear and 55psi in the front rides smooth!!!! I hope it rides just as good when I get a short bed on it.

Vinny

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure how much snow you were dealing with. I had a similar experien ce trying to pull an M929 out of a snow bank that was probably 4' deep (the M929's valve that engages the front axle was frozen (and that was even with draining the tanks!). Well, I got the M125 10 tonner out...hooked up to it...and figured the dump would just be pulled right out. Nope. You had to yank it out. The 10 tonner did a good job considering it was pulling about 24K pounds out of a snow drift while breaking hip deep snow with the duals in reverse. I was more impressed when I stepped out of the truck to see how deep the snow really was!

cruz

it really wasn't that much snow, my pickup was in about a 3' drift, but the 818 was only in about 8 inches of snow, the 818 didn't have a problem pulling its own weight through the same snowdrift to get in front of my pickup

also I would have used my deuce however I have taken the batteries out of it for the winter, and didn't feel like putting them back in.

and, I plan to find a trailer for the 818, I don't plan on just bobtailing around town, I am thinking an m127, or a similar flatbed, if I can find one close enough, I plan to use it on my farm for any tractors that are to heavy for my 7 ton gooseneck, and I'll probably deliver a couple loads of pumpkins, just to do it, I am thinking that on a 28' flatbed that I could get 18 bins of pumpkins, each bin weighs about 1000lbs so it would be 18k plus the trailer, so not a lot of weight but enough. also if you feel like it check out our pumpkin farm website. it is www.giantpumpkinfarm.com, it hasn't been updated for the new year yet but you will get to see an overview of our farm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks