• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 problems, HELP please

reb87

I picked up my 818 and drove it 500 miles with no problems. I parked it over night and now it wont start. Turns over great but no start. I could get it to fire with starting fluid so I figured fuel filter. I changed the filter and pumped the hand pump forever but never got good fuel coming out of the petcock on the intake. I had my wife pull me for 1/4 mile and still no start. I tried the pump when we got back and it pumps good fuel out now but it still wont start. Did I get air into the injector pump? What should I do now?? Thanks, Ross

madsam

Are you home? Where are you now?

I don't know the fuel system very well, but 2 things can stop fuel on the 800 trucks.

The ignition turns off an electric valve.
The manual pull in the middle of the dash.

If the engine is getting fuel, it should fire. If you are sure the pump is pumping fuel, I would check an injector to see if anything is coming out there.

Sorry not much help.

98hd

I accidentally ran mine dry once. I had to call a heavy truck mechanic as I was stranded on the side of the interstate. We got fuel back in the tank, and filled the fuel filter. Then he pulled off a big plug on top of the injection pump and filled the pump with fuel. Gave it some ether and it started and died. Did the same and it started and ran rough for about 30 seconds and smoothed out just fine.

Check to make sure your fuel switch is on the right tank (that is the problem I had) it is on the drivers side floor. Make sure there is fuel in that tank.

If you want to check the flow of the lines try wrapping a rag around an air hose and blowing air into the tank w/ the fuel filter off. This will push the fuel out. (I actually got a 99 dodge cummins w/ a dead lift pump and drained fuel filter started using this method.

Fill the fuel filter w/ fuel and reinstall.

Fill the injection pump with fuel.

Then give it a try.

Crash_AF

Just out of curiosity, did you pull the emergency stop in the center of the dash to shut it down? If you did, you have to get under the hood to reset it, pushing the lever in won't turn the fuel back on like a deuce. Something to check, if it won't shut down with the switch, there is a knob on the shut down that keeps the electrical shut off disengaged so that the truck will run with no battery power. DRMO loves screwing those in because the battery is dead, but not unscrewing it.

In case it wasn't clear, the pic shows the shut down lever in the 'run' position.

Later,
Joe

Attachments

reb87

Thanks a bunch guys. I pulled the emergency kill last night after I shut the truck off just to see what it felt like to pull. I didnt realize that it had to be reset. I reset it and it started right up. I made a little job into a big job. Ill post some pics of my recovery as soon as I can. Thanks again, great pic crash!!!
Ross

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks