• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

82 M1008 Steering Column moves in and out about and 1

wpburkhalter

I searched the forum and can't find anything related to this problem. On my CUCV M1008, I can pull on the steering wheel and it pulls out about an inch and when I push it push back in place. I looked at all the connections and they appear to be tight. I also looked on the engine side of the firewall and can see the shaft moves in and out close to the firewall.

I have taken the steering column apart to replace the turn signal switch and wiring and to put in a new ignition lock cylinder following the TMs.

Any ideas for how to fix this issue are greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

I have taken the steering column apart to replace the turn signal switch and wiring and to put in a new ignition lock cylinder following the TMs.

Did you hammer on the shaft to remove the steering wheel? And is the spring in the column at the proper place?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[82 M1008 Steering Column moves in and out about and 1]

Is it a XM1008 ? They didn't start production untill February of 1984.

wpburkhalter

I didn't hammer on the steering wheel to remove, used a steering wheel puller. I have looked through the -34 and can't find the plastic shear pin. Can you tell me where it is located? And this is an 82 CUCV M1008.

cucvrus

Check out the last 8 of the VIN. It should have an E F G H as the eighth digit from the end. If it is an 82 CUCV it would have a C as the eighth digit from the end. Check it out. And if it is an 82 the TM's will not pertain to that year and model. The steering columns are not the same.

wpburkhalter

My oldtimers disease was really bad yesterday. It is an 84 CUCV. Don't know why I thought it was an 82 all of a sudden yesterday. Where in the steering column is the plastic sheer pin? I didn't see one as I removed the steering wheel and the components down to the turn signal switch and the ignition cylinder. When I put it back together, I didn't have any left over parts except the old turn signal switch and the old ignition cylinder.

wpburkhalter

Thanks, will check that location out. when I move the steering column and then look under the hood where the two shafts come together, I can see movement in and out around the boot. Now for some better (dry) weather.